Horn (/+Dipole) project dilemma

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I've decided to sell my actual speakers and give horns a try. So far as I see there are two possibilities that I have to clear out from the start:

1) Do something inspired on what Kuei (Thorsten) has described a copule of times in the forum: a front horn from 200-300Hz up (hi spl, controlled directivity, something like the FE206 for a start), dipole woofers with large >>15" drivers (probably 2 x channel, Eminence of Beyma) and then, if needed sealed infrasub and supertweeter. See http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=21971

2) Use a 1 inch compression driver (beyma 380) and a BL horn.

I have noticed lots of interest on a project like (1) here and in the single driver forum: maybe a group project based on not very expensive divers would be nice for many. Even nicer would be work collectively or on the advice of the more experienced on a "system development" around the gainclone amplifiers, current drive, 1543 DAC...

I would appreciate any comments.

I just spent alot of time embarking on a project with my TAD 4001 2'' compression drivers, wich is my very first horn project. Horns all the way is supposed to be X-traordinary, but most people (like myself) compromises with something else. I ended up choosing a high sensitivity (97dB/W/m) 8 inch dipole midbass (Supravox), but as the compression driver has an unreasonably high sensitivity (111dB/W/m), I see no other sensible way than biamping it.. I will use a battery powered active XO, low-voltage gainclones for the midbass amplification, and 6s45pi triodes in single ended config on the TADs.

The speakers are not finished yet, but here's a pic of one of them waiting to get it's horn milled. Dipole wings will be some transparent material i guess.. maybe glass..

Attachments

• baffle.jpg
    baffle.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 216
swak said:
Hi,
I've decided to sell my actual speakers and give horns a try. So far as I see there are two possibilities that I have to clear out from the start:

1) Do something inspired on what Kuei (Thorsten) has described a copule of times in the forum: a front horn from 200-300Hz up (hi spl, controlled directivity, something like the FE206 for a start), dipole woofers with large >>15" drivers (probably 2 x channel, Eminence of Beyma) and then, if needed sealed infrasub and supertweeter. See http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=21971

2) Use a 1 inch compression driver (beyma 380) and a BL horn.

I have noticed lots of interest on a project like (1) here and in the single driver forum: maybe a group project based on not very expensive divers would be nice for many. Even nicer would be work collectively or on the advice of the more experienced on a "system development" around the gainclone amplifiers, current drive, 1543 DAC...

I would appreciate any comments.

I think that in the end it comes down to
-listening preferences
-program material.

Do you mean in case 1
Dipole subwoofer,front horn 300hz-2khz,with 1" comp driver 2k+ ?

www.volvotreter.de :)
front horn system.

Hi mikee12345 ,

No, I meant (in case 1) dipole up to 200-300, and from there on (300- to something from 12k - 20k) a front horn (like the oris) and a 8 inch (or around) driver. In case of too much beaming and/or falling fr. response, then also a supertweeter.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.