Bose 301- improvements and alterations.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was hoping to alter some Bose 301 series 3 speakers to try and get some music out of them. Looking at the tweeters, they have to go. I thought that maybe some tangband 871s instead.

The direct/reflecting thing doesn't fit with my understanding of soundfield reproduction so I thought one could face forward with the other facing back to compensate for bafflestep.

I would like suggestions for replacement long-throw drivers for the bass available in the UK. I don't want to spend too much, but theres no reason to be quite as cheap as Bose was in the first place.

Thanks for the replies, they do confirm what I personally think, but I friend has a pair and so I thought that I would try some alterations to get them going in the right direction.

Putting aside the Bose designand parts and construction material issues, the size of the speaker seems to be as big as many would like to go. So I was thinking that I could throw together the tangbands and a bass driver and get something more listable. Then I came across a spare pair of 301's and thought I'd try from there.

I'll be sticking these in the local paper and starting from scatch. But I could still use suggestions for a similar sized project with the goal of being able to convert my friend from his Bose without breaking the bank.

Sadly the Bose are still better than many of the speakers owned by other friends so I might be making a few pairs.

So the Bose are out the door, but I still have to put together a speaker of similar size that will make my friend turn his back on his pair and neverlook back.

So given that the bose are so bad, that should be easy on a modest budget.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

In the UK drivers and components are not cheap compared
to the sort of prices available in the USA, and quality budget
speakers is not an easy task.

The only source of cheap drivers is Maplins Audax range
which are now being sold off and won't be around for long.

The budget method of choice in the UK is a Richer Sounds
special which you then beef up / tune up somewhat, usually
you can't buy the drivers for the cost of an RSS, so you
effectively get the cabinets and hardware thrown in.

:) sreten.

I'm not proud but I did go ahead and do some polishing and just for completeness I thought I'd list the changes I made in order of positive effect.

1. Rewire - using 6 strands of CAT5 lszh networking cable for positive, 6 for negative for the bass, and 4 each for the tweeters. The CAT5 replaced wire that looked like galvanised fencing wire and made a vast difference to the sound.

2. Dammar - two coats for the main bass cone and 4 for the dust cap, one coat for the tweeters applied very thinly. This treatment removed the cardboard edge to the sound and improved clarity.

3. Attached two layer bubble wrap to the metal behind the bass drivers cone with double sided tape. Sounds a little smoother now.

4. Applied bluetack/rope claulk to the back of the bass driver. Marginal difference.

5. Stuck a couple of maplins WF55K tweeters on top crossed high.
This filled in the top end cheaply and surprisingly well.

All in all they sound much better and it took very little time to do. I wouldn't advise anyone to rush out and buy a pair but if you a stuck with a pair for any length of time these mods are better done sooner than later.

cyteen said:
3. Attached two layer bubble wrap to the metal behind the bass drivers cone with double sided tape. Sounds a little smoother now.

And this sounds better?

Man, I always new there was something you could do to make a Bose sound better. ;)

But bubble wrap? Isn't that for shipping things? Hmmm...

Glad to hear you got some things done cyteen.

Cal

Ah Bose... My dad had some old Bose speakers that I fixed up when I was 12 or so. They still sound pretty decent to this day! However, my new Bose Center was terrible. Pretty disapointing when you are young and blow $200 on a speaker. Luckily I was able to ebay it recently and get $30 less than I paid... amazing :D

Bose's best quality - resale value ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.