Bose 301- improvements and alterations.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sorry for the late reply.
I was perusing, and noticed this thread.

A number of years ago, I pick up a pair of 301's at a S. Army place for 15 bucks or so, broke.
Besides not working, one had a crack in the corner which housed the sound director for the tweeter. Both had scratches, etc.

One of the sandblock resistors had a broken lead. (Crossover consisted of a resistor - woof, cap -tweet).

I eventually got rid of the woofers, disconnected the tweeters (they have a solid back, so are airtight), and installed a pair of rat shack 12 inch full-range speakers.

The cabinet turns out to be great for use this way. For near-field, stand the speakers on end so the bass port fires down. This worked nicely on my shop bench. It seems to be tuned pretty well for a paper-type full range/whizzer speaker such as the rs 8 inch ones.
A couple coats of dammar varnish tempered the resonances of the main cone a bit, as well as the whizzer. They sound nicer than you'd expect.

They're now off of my bench and on the garage shelves, powered by a mono 6v6 tube amp/tuner. They still sound great.

If you find a couple junk boxes, try this. Maybe with Fostex 8 inchers........

Bob Hedberg

Hi, Cal -

I wasn't familiar with your efforts. It looks like you've really looked into this. The Morel 4" might be a good woofer choice if the cost is acceptable because you can run more power into them than most other similar size drivers and their efficiency is reasonable.

Btw, anybody have some blown Optimus 77 speakers they want to sell cheap?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.