Floorstanders with Vifa TC-18s

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is a contination of the thread started here so that I don't threadjack other threads.

Here's the response to this message:
Which shop did you buy the T nuts from?
I got these from Corrson, and I tried to look for them elsewhere, to no avail. Nobody seems to have seen them before :att'n: The Chromium plated screws I got from this small shop right at the other end of SP road (I forget the name, sounded like a Muslim name). The owner is a nice guy, when I mentioned I wanted something "better than ordinary" to use in a speaker box, he got me these and a couple of others.

How is the bass in your speaker? Are you satisfied with the performance? How does the tweeter sound?
Bass sounds loud, perhaps a bit boomy. I have a feeling there's some sort of resonance at around 50-60 Hz, I have to borrow a microphone before I can be sure. I missed an option in WinISD to set air temp while simulating a vented box, and when I changed it from 20 to 30 degrees (more "indian" conditions :) ) the port length went up by 1.5 cm. I may have to make some modifications to the port to fix this.

The tweeter's fine, far more efficient than the woofers! I had to pad it down almost 10dB before my ears stopped hurting!

I've built a 12dB/oct crossover, and I've used ferrite ETD cores from Siemens, gapped to prevent saturation. I've measured their inductance at home using Speaker Workshop and an impedance jig, so the power through them during measurement would have been quite real-world. When plotting an impedance graph, the only deviation from ideal was way up at 18kHz, and at those frequencies , firstly I'm deaf, second, Speaker Workshop's test signal and algorithm introduce some junk. I will try and do "proper" saturation tests on them to see if I can find any problems (ie, apply some DC current, with the AC test signal riding on top). The result of using the ferrites is that the whole crossover fits in the palm of my hand :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.