is tuning at 25Hz too high?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Make the vent longer with 90 degree elbow joint. The unloading won't be a problem as there isn't much energy below 25 Hz, but the vent noise might be high with the Shiva's massive excursion.

Build without elbow first, but leave room for the elbow to be added if you find the vent noise too much. If you don't add any EQ to the low end then you will probably not run into a vent noise problem.

officeboy said:
I think it might be a bit of a problem, At 40Hz, your +2 db and it might get boomy.

You can of course add some elbows to make your port longer, or build a slot port into one of the walls of your box.

Also you have read this right?
http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/VentedShivaApplications.PDF
There all right in there advice, an elbow or a right angle bend in your port would be the way to go, ATC do it, so dont think its a poor mans trick, This is less energy in music below 50hz, that is true, but its nice to be able to get down there on the few tracks that can,

on my music-drum n bass and hiphop
50hz is common
40hz occasionally
36hz and below rare occasions,usually for short durations

so low tunings are only useful for HT

my jbl was tuned to 33hz,it covers music quite nicely with an overdamped response too.

You could extend the port outside of the box too,but the end correction factor will be different :cool:

Ever tried fft on Mike Oldfield's "Tubular Bells"? must try that one day - supposed 22Hz bass organ.....

Try FFT on (just for starters)...

Telarc 1812 Overture (music)*
Pink Floyd (all music -- DSOTM and after)
5th Element (movie)
Independence Day (movie)
Atlantis (movie)
Titan AE (movie)
Paycheck (movie)
Lagaan (movie)

LOTS of infrabass (sounds GREAT on a Bose Cannon).

*WATCHOUT! Cannons eat woofers -- I know

When the 1812 was released, the cover read "Caution! Digital Cannons," and the interior of the booklet warned the listener that "the cannons of the Telarc 1812 Overture are recorded at a very high level. Lower levels are recommended for initial playback until a safe level can be determined for your equipment." Reviewers also issued cautions: "Just be sure the volume isn’t so loud that one of the shots spreads pieces of speaker cone all over your floor," (Digital Audio); and "Its peaks would crack your window panes and maybe your speaker cones, too." (Knight-Ridder Newspapers). The disc became Telarc’s best-selling recording of all time, with over 800,000 copies sold, and for well over a decade has been the audio demo disc of choice.

I shredded two JBL LE14As showing off...

i think u should rebuild a ported box. hey, in the long run you'll praise it. remember... u work hard for somthing it's more worth while because it's on what u want. rebuilding a new box gives u flexibility, while modifying a sealed box will rob you of some performance, (i.e. not the right air space, and adding a port will take up displacements.) for a sealed design it is forgiving... a ported design is in fact less forgiving. u have to take into account all the displacements n tune the vent right. n e ways... good luck! :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.