i need some openions....please give me feed back...speaker design... - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th May 2002, 10:27 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Default what ya think selected new drivers and crossover

I GOT LIST OF ALL COMPONENTS FROM PARTSEXPRESS CATOLOG.... CHECK THEM OUT....THEY SHOULD BE ON WEBSITE

CROSSOVER: EMINENCE PXB3-5K0 CROSSES OVER AT 500HZ AND 5000HZ HANDLES 400W POWER
__________________________________________________ __
tweeter: PYLE PRO PDBT38 2" HEAVY DUTY TITANIUM SUPER TWEETER... 125W RMS FREQUENCY RESPONCE: 2,000-25,000HZ
MIDRANGE: PEERLESS 850467, 6 1/2" MIDBASS WITH PHASE PLUG
150W RMS FREQUENCY RESPONCE: 46.8-6,500HZ
WOOFER: PEERLESS 850136, 8" WOOFER
150W RMS FREQUENCY RESPONCE: 29-4,000HZ

ALL DRIVER ARE 8 OHMS

THE SPEAKERS WILL CONSIST OF 2 TWEETERS, 2 MIDRANGES, AND 2 WOOFERS.

WILL I BE ABLE TO DRIVE THESE SPEAKERS WELL AND LOUD WITH 400W TO EACH SPEAKER?

THANKS,
SLICE

NOTE: WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK OF THESE DRIVERS?
ARE PEERLESS AND PYLE PRO GOOD?

I HAVE HEARD GOOD THINGS ABOUT BOTH...
AND WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THESE CROSSOVERS?
Old 19th May 2002, 01:30 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Slice,
Do not pay any attention to rms power ratings. Or any power ratings, for that matter.
I will repeat:
Do not pay any attention to rms power ratings. Or any power ratings, for that matter.
I used to do the VERY same thing when I was first getting into speakers. The only time you should consider power ratings is in a subwoofer. Power ratings in Midbasses and tweeters are meaningless. At full, ear melting power, typical tweeters might be recieving 2 watts of power. And you want a tweeter with a voice coil that can handle 120! That is the kind of tweeter that sounds like CRAP, but can play really really loud. Get a home-fi tweeter, like a vifa D25AG-35. These will play louder than you want them to, and they sound awesome!
Your still fixed on a three way. These are much more complicated than a two way, and you simply do NOT need three speakers. 6.5" midbass, 1" tweeter. Your sub covers the low lows. The peerless 6.5 looks good.
Give us more specifications as to what you want your system to do. I understand it as this: big subs, fronts, rears, and a center. All of this is in a studio type room.
Obviously you want it to play loud, much louder than you need it too(head room). A system that can handle anything you'll give it times 3. Now tell us more about what you want it to do, and not what you want to put in it.
-andy
Old 19th May 2002, 01:43 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

well i would like to have three way speakers because that is what i have currently and i like them much better then any 2-way i have heard.....
the room is going to be big with studio grade dampining on the walls and celing. i would like all my speakers to be large and basickly the same speakers inside then....just different enclosure layout.
the room space will not be a problem because it will be 18ft wide and 20-25ft. long.....
i have to go now but i will tell you more later this evning.....i have to go to a party...

what you think about the crossover?

thanks for clueing me in on power rating......
i can not express how much you have helped by that little bit of advice....

thanks,

Slice
Old 19th May 2002, 09:49 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

I have never designed a 3 way crossover. I have designed 2 way crossovers with excellent results, and they are very easy to make. So you are going to have 5 large speakers in this room. What about subwoofers? I am glad to be of service
-andy
Old 19th May 2002, 10:11 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

i am actualy going to have 12 huge speakers in this room....
i have actualy build subs befor but not mains, centers, ext.
the system is a thx 7.1 system and will consist of:
right front---400w
left front---400w
center 1---400w
center 2---400w
surrond right 1---200w
surrond right 2---200w
surrond left 1---200w
surrond left 2---200w
rear right---400w
rear left---400w
sub 1---400w
sub 2---400w
all of the speakers have their own chanle except for the surrounds....
i am outputing the surround right channle to two speakers and the same with the left surround channels....
Old 19th May 2002, 10:24 PM   #16
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

With a sub already in the system, i'm with bostarob in recommending that you avoid a 3-way -- too much complexity, too much crossover. A 2 1/2 way with 4 of the 170mm Vifas (or Seas or Peerless) would be a good compromise -- build a design in the concept of the Krix Euphonix -- they call it a 3-way but it is really 2.5 way. I am sure there are lots of examples of well-thought out MTMs with this variety of 6s, and then one would just need to add an appropriate inductor for rolling off the two bottom woofers at the bafflestep.

There are some impedance issues -- probably best to use 4 ohm drivers and wire for an 8 ohm MTM section and a 4 ohm minimum impedance when the 2nd set of woofers kick in.

dave
Old 20th May 2002, 03:46 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Cool as i have said i am not a fan to t-way systems

i have heard many 2-way systems and i have heard many 3-way systems.
i have never relly been inprossed with 2-way designs....
that is why i would like to stick to a 3-way design....
i am sure you have designed some good 2-way designs but my personal prefrence for speaker design is 3-way......

thanks,

i took your advice and chose another tweeter.....
i decided to go with the Daton 1" sheilded dome tweeted....
it is an 8 ohm driver with a frequency responce of 3,000hz-20,000hz.....
what do you think?
i would have gone with the vifa you suggested but it is a 6ohm driver.....do they have a 8ohm version?

what is your opion on dayton loudspeaker co.?

thanks,
Slice
Old 20th May 2002, 04:23 AM   #18
BAM is offline BAM
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to BAM
Slice:

What exactly do you wish to accomplish with this listening room?

A. Really Great Sound Quality
B. Really Big Speakers
C. Ear-Bleeding Volume

What you're planning on doing with all these power amplifiers, I can see doing with three: One amp drives the left and right front, one drives the left and right back, and one drives the center channel and the bass-bin. For the bass-bin, you should build a box with 4 Adire Shivas.
Old 20th May 2002, 05:21 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Why are you going to have 2 speakers in the center and surround positions? I think 7.1 has dipole surround speakers, but I'm not sure (somebody fill me in here).

Ok, the low frequencies will be covered by your 2 extremely large (drooling) subwoofers. These will play 80 Hz and below.

Now we need something to play from 80 Hz and up for the center, front and rear channels.
Let's start simple.
-The cheapest and simplest way to do this is to use a 4" full range driver for each channel. It would work. If we put it in the right kind of box, it wouldn't even need a crossover. Sounds like something Bose would do.(and then slap a fancy name on it and charge an arm and a leg.)
-this method would be lacking in high frequencies, and headroom. At high volume, the 4" might not be enough.

To solve these problems, we can
-slap a tweeter in for the highs
-increase woofer cone area
-2 4" drivers
-a bigger midbass (5 or 6 inches)
-maybe even 2 5 or 6 inchers
What I would do:
-a well damped (Qts of .3 to .4) 6.5 or 7inch midbass (a vifa, focal, or audax) in a sealed box accompanied by a tweeter (I like vifa's tweeters a lot). This would require a crossover, a high pass for the tweeter and a low pass for the woofer.
I like these woofers: 296-073,296-076,296-024,297-305,297-324,297-520,297-683
Box about 1/2 of a cubic foot.
I like these tweeters: 264-512 (I've got a couple of these and I love em!), 264-555 (simply awesome), most vifa tweeters, the tweeter you choose is not so critical, just go for low Fs and SPL about the same as the woofer( generally a little higher). A low tweeter Fs will let us cross it over at around 2000 Hz. What do you Think?
-andy
Old 20th May 2002, 05:57 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Oops I hadn't read the second page of posts until now...
Dave is right, if you have 2 way satelites, you really do have a 3 way system(ok 2.5, but I'm calling it 3). Subs are 1, midbass is 2, tweeter is 3. 3 way! Sort of... The full frequency spectrum is covered with good dispersion, and high quality sound. NOTHING IS MISSING! NO NEED FOR MORE DIRVERS Also, the more crossovers you have, the crappier your sound is likely to be. That is why I am trying to point you in the direction of simplicity. OK, I'm sorry i tend to be a little stubborn (OK very stubborn)(especially if i think im right, haha) If you really like 3 way satelite speakers, by all means go for it. Look at the Hi-Vi mid+tweet in one case thing.(partsxpress has it)
I was concerned at first with the tweeter being 6 ohm too, but it matters not. It doesn't need to have an 8 ohm version because it doesn't matter. It could even be 4 ohm. You will put attenuation resistors on it anyway. Partsexpress's house brand, Dayton, has good looking products. Especially their titanic subs and binding posts. I do not have a first hand opinion on anything other than the binding posts. (good and cheap!)
-andy

Hide this!Advertise here!