norh pyramids - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th June 2004, 04:13 PM   #1
atc747 is offline atc747  Canada
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to atc747 Send a message via AIM to atc747 Send a message via MSN to atc747
Default norh pyramids

http://www.norh.com/products/pyramid/

Anyone heard this before? Any thoughts? I was unable to find any reviews or any detailed information not on their web site. I know speakers certainly have an element of 'taste' as far as sound goes and I'd rather not buy speakers for 500$ until I've heard them -- but these look really cool.

I was thinking about using two in my bedroom with a rotel rx-602 or marantz 2265B receiver.

Norh looks like such an interesting company... not sure what to make of them. Any thoughts?

Maybe I should go for it if I am allowed to ship them back for a refund if they don't out. I'm not sure this is an option.

Any thoughts appreciated Thanks.

Mike.
Old 19th June 2004, 11:37 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to atc747 Send a message via AIM to atc747 Send a message via MSN to atc747
Well I emailed Norh and found out they aren't making the pyramids anymore. Oh well! I just purchased an audiophile 24/96 to replace my sblive and now I need to wait a little to afford new speakers. I may go back to my original plan of a kit, or building from scratch (For the first time) -- maybe using really cheap components just as a learning experience.

Thanks all

Mike.
Old 20th June 2004, 12:09 AM   #3
Bose(o) is offline Bose(o)  Canada
diyAudio Member

I built a single full-ranger my first time. Still have the boxes too. I like engineering and design, so I build all of my stuff from scratch.

I noticed Sblive in your post, what is this audiophile 24/96 you speak of? I remember looking for audiophile cards for my PC and ran across Aopen's Tube motherboards, it was tempting, but I'm an Asus man and don't trust Aopen mobos.
Old 20th June 2004, 01:13 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to johninCR Send a message via MSN to johninCR Send a message via Yahoo to johninCR
It's a good thing that they don't make those speakers anymore because you would have wasted $500 . 4 drivers angled at the ceiling at 45 degrees in 4 directions on each channel would have sounded terrible (probably why they don't make them anymore).
Old 20th June 2004, 01:27 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Do you have any pictures / specs / whatever of this single full-ranger you made? I'm just curious Have been thinking about 2-way MTM or TM or 3-way TMW myself. Keep changing how much I feel I should be spending on it too. Reasonably speaking, the design is not going to be great (like I said, first time builder here -- ) so I shouldn't bother spending 500$+ on parts. I think it might be more fun to get cheap parts and experiment / mess up more! Maybe even try to copy the pyramids desing.

Anyway, regarding sound cards.... I toook at look at this Aopen Tube Motherboard and was a little skeptical. What I found on it from Aopen sounded more like a marketing gimick than anything, but I could be totally wrong on this. The fact that it's built into a motherboard biased me against it right away -- I hate built-in components like that because if I want to replace the motherboard, or if the motherboard dies (has happened to me before!), then there goes the sound card, video card, whatever else.

As far as what I did replacing the SbLive, I was using an SbLive 5.1 OEM with Linux (Mandrake 9.2). I wanted something with RCA jacks instead (SbLive used 1/8th inch and I was using an adapter with that). Also wanted something that would work well with Linux. The audiophile 24/96 was not too expencive (199$ USD retail I think?) and looked like it would provide good clean analogue (and digital) out. I didn't want anything fancy features wise so the audiophile 24/96 was pretty much perfect for what I was looking for. I have it plugged into a rotel rx-602 (70s receiver) via some pretty good quality RCA interconnects I made recently. Compared with the SB live, I find the sound is clearer (but did not do a side-by-side comparison and am probably biased by the fact that I just spent this money...). It definetely does have less noise though --turning the receiver up all the way with nothing playing and I can hear a very very faint hiss (and this is probably coming from the cables).

Oh and it worked beautifully with linux too. Pretty much plug in and it it was ready.

Since I don't have a cd player or turntable or anything like that, and my computer is my main music putting out device, a reasonable sound card was important. I am starting to really hear the difference between a good quality Mp3 or file encoded with lossless compression vs a lower bitrate / poorly encoded file.

http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=...3fa8b83343bfb8 for the audiophile 24/96 page/specs.

Let me know how it goes

Mike.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bose(o)
I built a single full-ranger my first time. Still have the boxes too. I like engineering and design, so I build all of my stuff from scratch.

I noticed Sblive in your post, what is this audiophile 24/96 you speak of? I remember looking for audiophile cards for my PC and ran across Aopen's Tube motherboards, it was tempting, but I'm an Asus man and don't trust Aopen mobos.
Old 20th June 2004, 01:31 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Perhaps...

Quote:
Originally posted by johninCR
It's a good thing that they don't make those speakers anymore because you would have wasted $500 . 4 drivers angled at the ceiling at 45 degrees in 4 directions on each channel would have sounded terrible (probably why they don't make them anymore).
Old 23rd June 2004, 10:17 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I know that this is far from scientific and a stretch from what I would do now... but, I'll give you the dimensions of the speakers that I built and you can just throw whatever in there. It was initally designed for one of those 4" full-rangers from Radioshack, I ended up buying a Road Gear driver from Wal-mart instead. It is of lesser quality and such, but it puts out decent sound for what you'd pay. I think I paid a total of 40 bucks including tremclad. Just re-post to this thread asking for the dimensions some time soon. i.e., 1-day.
Old 24th June 2004, 01:07 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bose(o)
I know that this is far from scientific and a stretch from what I would do now... but, I'll give you the dimensions of the speakers that I built and you can just throw whatever in there. It was initally designed for one of those 4" full-rangers from Radioshack, I ended up buying a Road Gear driver from Wal-mart instead. It is of lesser quality and such, but it puts out decent sound for what you'd pay. I think I paid a total of 40 bucks including tremclad. Just re-post to this thread asking for the dimensions some time soon. i.e., 1-day.
Hmm.. thanks but no thanks I'm out of money at the moment (maybe that's a good reason to take you up on your offer?)-- but i'm afraid of being disapointed and discouraged by speakers not carefully designed and built. I am hoping to have something better than the PSB (alphas?) I am currently using... probably will get a kit or follow plans. Not sure yet. Anyway, when the money comes in, I'll rethink this out.

Thanks though --

Mike.
Old 28th June 2004, 05:19 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Ahhh, good call. Didn't know that you wanted to out do some decent speakers. Good luck!

Hide this!Advertise here!