Try Ambiophonics with your speakers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th June 2004, 10:44 AM   #1
Elias is offline Elias  Finland
diyAudio Member

Default Try Ambiophonics with your speakers

Se on moro!

Have anyone here tried Ambiophonics? http://www.ambiophonics.org I think this is the way to go if you want to experience the 'you are there' illusion. I strongly suggest you to try out a simple experiment: place your speakers in front of you in 10-15 degrees angle and put an absorptive baffle (e.g. a mattress) between the speakers almost touching your nose (see the pic). For the starters don't care if you don't have the reverb channels, as in real Ambiophonics.

Warning! You will be amazed! After this it is hard to go back to the usual 60 degrees stereo triangle.

- Elias
Attached Images
File Type: jpg newfig4.jpg (14.6 KB, 7552 views)
Old 18th June 2004, 10:54 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

... or just wear headphones.
Old 18th June 2004, 11:14 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

The crosstalk between left and right is intrinsic to and INTENDED for intensity stereo recordings.

The principle shown might give advantages for dummy head recordings.

Regards

Charles
Old 18th June 2004, 01:15 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

This is verty impractical, but i known its works, but there has to be some cross talk, its a part of nature, just as feedback is.
Old 23rd July 2004, 02:25 PM   #5
Elias is offline Elias  Finland
diyAudio Member

http://www.raeng.org.uk/news/publica...son_Hamada.pdf
Old 23rd July 2004, 03:09 PM   #6
kneadle is offline kneadle  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to kneadle
This method works properly when you are reproducing a recording intended for this application. In other words, the microphones must have been placed to capture the source material as if though they were ears on a head.

I've made recordings like this. It is more realistic, but it is much more suited for ambient recordings, e.g., city noise, sounds of nature, and whatnot. However, traditional soundstaging of musical performance (except maybe symphonic, but even then...), in my opinion, is best reproduced in the way we've become familiar. Besides, can you imagine providing a listening environment of this nature for more than one person?

Dave
Old 23rd July 2004, 03:24 PM   #7
kneadle is offline kneadle  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to kneadle
You know,

I take it back. I'm talking about something else. I have to say, upon reading the article more closely, that I'm not convinced by the intial thesis of the so-called ambiophiles. For one thing, the article is poorly constructed, with too much opinion intermingled with technical detail. I'd like to see a well-argued paper on this. The author(s) seem too interested in debunking the stereo-phile "mythology" before presenting the science. It simply is not preposterous, as they claim, that an accurate enough soundstage can be achieved with two speakers.

As far as the technical argument goes, I remain unconvinced that any mechanical method will ever achieve pure sound source reproduction. There are simply too many transistors and tubes between me and the sound source for that to be possible. I wonder if idealism isn't driving the science, as is often the case among "philes" of many sorts.

Dave
Old 6th January 2007, 08:12 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to ackcheng
I just come across thie ambiophiles thing 2 years later than the previous post. I am very interested to try. On the web page, there are using crosstalk cancellation techniques to make an ambiopoles and 8 other speakers to create ambiance. Sounds really interesting. Wonder if anyone has tried that?
Old 21st February 2007, 08:50 PM   #9
poldus is offline poldus  Europe
diyAudio Member

As you said, once tried itīs hard to get back to normal stereo.
For symphonic music, two microphone recordings played back through a crosstalk barrier set-up canīt be touched by regular multi-mike/standard stereo.
The you-are-there sensation achieved when you add convincent hall reverb from further sets ōf speakers (as from the yamaha dsp-ax1 or JVC xp-a1010) is an eye opening experience.
Even 5.1 is inferior since there is usually too much of the orquestra mixed with the hall signature coming from the rear to make it believable.Only church and cathedral recordings clearly benefit from this As for the front center speaker, it just doesnīt add anything to spatial realism and can be spared-as I-ve done.Donīt forget it was designed for movie not music reproduction.
Old 24th July 2007, 09:08 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

I've been listening like this for years now. I could never go back to a 60o triangle again. I find it somewhat interesting that I've mentioned this to my audiophile friends and many have opinions, but none have ever actually tried it! It only takes about 5 mins, move your speakers together and stick a barrier down the middle. If you don't like it, fine, at least you tried.

Hide this!Advertise here!