Try Ambiophonics with your speakers

I don't consider diffuse field as a conflict. Conflict is where you got two or more clearly perceived spatial cues for a same sound event but they are pointing to different directions, for example.

- Elias

I still don't understand the benefit. Summing localization works for most people despite conflicting pinna cues. It's simply the limitations of stereo.

Additionally, how would you create a truly diffuse sound field above 5kHz (I guess that's the frequency range you're talking about?) in an acoustically small room?

ok, click to enlarge.

Untitled 9 (1).jpg

I don't think that graph is representive enough to have any use.

I originally used the MIT Kemar data and a model by Richard O Duda to estimate head attenuation. We are dealing with attenuations ranging from a fraction of a dB to a few dBs. For example see the head model I used on the R A C E plot.

There is actually a boost on the near side, and attenuation on the far side, compared to free field conditions.

BTW. I will be away, and offline for a few days.

Thanks David! Unfortunately I don't have Matlab.

I had rather bad experience with non-individualized HRTFs in the past. They simply didn't work for me. So I'm wondering how large the individual variance is in the CIPIC data?

HRTFs are good for colouring sound..
That site privides .txt files and graphs, if you select a smalll subset.
I think the old CoolEdit used to accept ascii. It should niot be too difficult to fiind a way to convert to .wav files.
I'm not quite sure what I am looking at yet!

So, not me again! Shame on me :)

It's never too late to learn ! :D

BTW, have you already grasped the Blumlein stereo patent, about amplitude panning to ITD ? ;)

It is relevant here, because when cross talk is cancelled amplitude difference to ITD conversion does not happen ! That's why Ambiophonics requires recorded low freq ITD cues. Conventional stereo triangle do not require recorded low freq ITD cues, because they are formed at the listening position due to cross talk. All the studio mixing gear include only amplitude panning, and they are suitable for stereo. Ideal Ambiophonics uses a special recording microphone to capture ITD at the recording end.

- Elias

Last edited:
It's never too late to learn ! :D

BTW, have you already grasped the Blumlein stereo patent, about amplitude panning to ITD ? ;)

It is relevant here, because when cross talk is cancelled amplitude difference to ITD conversion does not happen ! That's why Ambiophonics requires recorded low freq ITD cues. Conventional stereo triangle do not require recorded low freq ITD cues, because they are formed at the listening position due to cross talk. All the studio mixing gear include only amplitude panning, and they are suitable for stereo. Ideal Ambiophonics uses a special recording microphone to capture ITD at the recording end.

- Elias

Uh, conventional two-speaker stereo is not that bad after all? :D