Bi-wire, Tri-wire?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

I'm not trying to get into a discussion on biwiring here (although, if you've got a killer theory, for or against, I'd love to hear it) but why aren't more 3 way speakers set up for tri-wiring?

Obviously (if you subscribe to the theory) 2 ways are good to go with a bi-wire setup, but often, you see only bi-wiring on 3 ways as well. Surely, if bi-wiring is good for 2 ways then tri-wiring is essential for 3 ways?

Mos

Hi Mos

I think the point is to get the bass signals away from the mid and tweeter so bi-wiring is all you need. There's some info here on bi-amping and bi-wiring.

http://www.geocities.com/jonrisch/biwiring.htm

http://sound.westhost.com/bi-amp.htm

I had to bi-wire but for different reasons. I added a 0.5 woofer (for BSC) via a 1st order parallel xo to a 2 way with a series xo. Coming off a single wire didn't work too well but when the 0.5 woofer was on it's own wire, it all clicked together nicely. The 2 different crossovers now coexist.

You sound as if your speakers are almost finished. How's it all been going and when are you going to post some info?

Cheers

Bi-Wiring is different from Bi-Amping...Bi-Wiring is when each seperate driver in your speaker has a connection to the amp itself...whereas Bi-Amping is using 2 amplifiers for seperate drivers...get what I mean?? If not try this website at
http://www.decdun.fsnet.co.uk/loudspeakers.html#spkrmods
scroll to the middle and u'll see a more in-dept discussion on this topic...

Sreten

Sure, I take your point about biamping but since terminals aren't an expensive addition to a loudspeaker, making allowance for a tri-wire/tri-amp setup seems reasonable.

Rabbitz

Hi! Yep, you'd think my project was getting close to completion but I've still got a ways to go. The cabinets (translam, curved sides) have really taken some time but they are finished, although still to be veneered.

I used to think some guys took too long to complete their projects but I can see why now. Time just flies and progress can be slow. At this point I'm hoping to produce a tweakable setup by late July. Then I'll post some pics and info.

Thanks for the interest :)

Mos

BTW, has anyone used the Michell Engineering Big Mother speaker terminals?

It looks like Rabbitz beat me to the link. Why aren't more speakers set up for tri-wiring? I think it's just that not many people go to the trouble of tri-amping. :apathic:

One of the benefits of tri-amping, as suggested in Rod Elliott's article, would be the decreased power requirement for the tweeter. He mentions using a class A amp in this situation- and I don't really know enough to say how good that would be, people seem to like class A. I guess it's similar to how people love tubes- which could also be good there. Anyway, it gives me an idea for a project.

Off topic:

The idea is a gainclone to run a fostex full-range(ish) from 200hz up, and a heftier amp (a plate amp for simplicity, or perhaps an LM4780 to keep with the DIY spirit) for a sealed Shiva 12".

I'll probably start a thread on this if I get serious about it, that is- after searching archives. One question, though-

Does anyone know if (for example) a Fostex FE167e can keep up with an Adire Shiva in a bi-amped situation? Do I need to look for a pro sound driver with better power handling?

I've been experimenting with digital filters with my Eminence beta 8"s and morel mdt-20s, and the drivers go plenty loud without stress if I use a highpass to keep them above 200hz. The upper midrange does tend to beam, though, so that's why the next project I want to tackle won't use an 8 inch driver. I don't have a good listening room so I tend to move around and miss the sweet spot.

Sorry to ramble, I'm not quite awake yet.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.