enclosure for tempest in 7x25x(3,25)m room

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all
I need some help.
Is there any one who can help me choice a enclosure for a tempest ? I have 2 tempest to use in a 7x25x(3,25)m room.
I´ll will use them for HT, small PA system and music.

I have 2x750Wrms in 4 ohm.

i´m thinking Low Q Design (Q=0.577) from http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/SealedTempestApplications.PDF

or

ESB alignment from http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/VentedTempestApplications.PDF

I what alot low end an alot SQ.

I do not need to go deef :cannotbe:

If there is a another sub i can buy in EU there i better and coast the same pleas tell me so. ( u can maybe sell tempest)

Thanks !

(i know there has been talked alot about tempest but i couldn´t find any thing i could use)

I recently built two Tempest EBS subs powered by 380w@4ohm plate amps a piece. My room (finished basement) approx 25ft by 23ft with low 6.7 inch celings. Ive never heard/felt more DEEP DEEP bass. Thats on a concrete floor mind you. In a wood floored tradtional room it would be gross overkill. Not that that is a bad thing. I have one in right corner and one in middle of wall (same wall) flanking my main speakers. Its a lot of wood work building those boxes I tell you. They are huge! There is an interesting article about multiple subs and room placement but I cant remember link. Someone else could posibly chime in on that. Has to do with room modes and the sort. I have not moved mine around to minipulate such things as they way a TON! If you go EBS build ONE first. If not enough, build another. One might just do it for you. Hope this helps JIMBO

Thats in Meters? What is it a hall? Excuse my Yankee thinking in feet. If I read Adires plan details right, the EBS gives up some output for extension. Maybe the adire ported alingment would be better for you as it doesnt give up as much output for extension. You will need plenty of output for a room that size. I dont listen to music with my subs. My main speakers are large (kef model fours) with a -3db of 35 hz. I use the EBS pair to fill in the rest when watching movies. Running through the plate amps cheap opamp's muddy up the sound for music. I switch the subs in and out with a 3 pole RCA switching box. The KEF's actually put out a lot of bass, but the 6th order bandpass drops like a rock after 35hz. Hence the EBS subs for the really low stuff. JIMBO

mightyjimbo said:
Thats in Meters? What is it a hall? Excuse my Yankee thinking in feet. If I read Adires plan details right, the EBS gives up some output for extension. Maybe the adire ported alingment would be better for you as it doesnt give up as much output for extension. You will need plenty of output for a room that size. I dont listen to music with my subs. My main speakers are large (kef model fours) with a -3db of 35 hz. I use the EBS pair to fill in the rest when watching movies. Running through the plate amps cheap opamp's muddy up the sound for music. I switch the subs in and out with a 3 pole RCA switching box. The KEF's actually put out a lot of bass, but the 6th order bandpass drops like a rock after 35hz. Hence the EBS subs for the really low stuff. JIMBO

It all in meters !

Wow, BIG long hall, and you have a LOT of power...

Knowing this is for PA and HT duty, I'd concentrate on getting strong output down to ~25 Hz, and forgo anything below that. PA doesn't need it, most music doesn't need it, and most HT doesn't need it either.

I'd look at 160 liters, tuned to ~26 Hz with a pair of 10cm diameter by 25cm long ports, per Tempest. This should give good extension to ~24 Hz, and actually gain a bit of output (higher Q alignment) from 25 to 70 Hz.

Also, with the power you have (750W into 4 Ohms, about 55Vrms), you could wire the Tempests each in series, and drive them to full excursion, even in 16 Ohm configurations.

Oh yeah, you'll want a subsonic filter set to 20 Hz to protect from bottoming down lower. I assume your PA amp has one; if not a simple 2nd order Butterworth high pass filter at 20 Hz is all that's needed.

Dan Wiggins
Adire Audio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.