Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th June 2004, 10:01 PM   #1
dejo is offline dejo  United States
diyAudio Member

Default seas or scan speak

I once again have a question for those of you much more in the know than myself.
I am considering building a 2.5 way or mtm (no great preference) but am considering the scan 8945 or the seas w18e001 or w17e001. Do any of you have hands on experience with these drivers and how does the bass and mids compare with each other. Also is it worth the extra money over the regular vifa pl series and seas normal line. any advise is greatly appreciated.
Old 13th June 2004, 09:28 AM   #2
Jay is offline Jay  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

I don't have enough experience with these large diameter expensive drivers but from listening observation the SS have a 'better' bass while the Seas have 'better' mid.

The point is, it is not a matter of which driver, but a matter of which design. And may be preference. To my preference, any of those drivers can achieve equal bass quality down to 40Hz depends on the design so if I have to design the speaker myself I will choose the Seas.

Is it worth the extra money over the regular PL? Hmm... I believe that in the right hands it should. (At least I know that I'm not yet at the end of the world)
Old 13th June 2004, 07:02 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Is it worth the extra money?
Yes, definitely. Particularly if you are only building a few. For a large manufacturer, probably not as evidenced by taking a look at pretty much any of the crap out there.

My understanding is that the Seas has a stiffer cone which can potentially lead to lower distortion. However, it does suffer from some pretty serious breakup in the upper end and if you are using standard analog crossover, it is harder for you to take that into account (probably need some sort of extra filter, take a look at the reference designs which I belive Seas offers).

The ScanSpeak units are also very high quality. Perhaps I like them better for historical reasons (I got started with SS first), or perhaps it is because they offer more models which allowed me to put find units more suited to the old concrete cabinet I had ...

Having said this, it should be clear to you that both units are capable of exquisite performance, and it is more likely that you will want to choose based on which other units you are connecting to. With a ScanSpeak, perhaps it would be wise to consider a complementary SS tweeter or perhaps a Focal unit? For the Seas, perhaps you want to stay within the same family or go for a ribbon tweeter from Orca or equivalent?

Good luck!

Petter
Old 4th March 2014, 02:06 AM   #4
nrg2009 is offline nrg2009  United States
diyAudio Member

I landed on this thread, because I have the same ScanSpeak vs Seas question.
Old 4th March 2014, 02:26 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

In my experience I have found that it is more about implementation than selection. Utilizing drivers of that quality warrants expert skills. I am not questioning anyone's ability. I am just saying that in my early years I spent more money on drivers than my skills were capable of. In my later years I have made some very inexpensive (read cheap) drivers sound pretty good.

MLC
Old 4th March 2014, 05:51 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

You should have a good read through here: Troels.
I should imagine he's built more speakers than anyone on the planet and he often describes the sound of different drivers.
Here's a page where he describes the sound of various Seas drivers: LINK
Old 4th March 2014, 09:39 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I have the Seas Prestige U18's, the bass, smooth midrange and power are excellent and would find it hard to find drivers to better theses at the price.

Am sure you will happy with SS or Seas, their both quality manufactures.
Old 4th March 2014, 12:40 PM   #8
nrg2009 is offline nrg2009  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the replies. I certainly appreciate all you comments. I agree that skills of making a good box matter. I have so far build 1 set of TMM's (using a ribbon and Tang Band 4" midwoofers) from the ground up. They had a decent sound, but I still prefer my commercial speakers. The mids were very muffled in my DIY speakers. So I would like to build another pair, either TM or TMM with some proven drivers. There are quite a few designs to choose from.
Old 4th March 2014, 09:36 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

is there a personal reason for just considering these two brands? Just out of interest
Old 4th March 2014, 10:02 PM   #10
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

Yea, how about the new Santori? Next on my list to try. I found the Seas ER18RNX paper driver easy to use. Very happy with it. The Mg drivers seem to be quite difficult to tame. Good if tamed, but difficult. If you can stand a larger box, the Usher and Eaton are possibilities. SS seem to need big boxes too.

Hide this!Advertise here!