fullrange driver for a 3-way, good option ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Some people (Diyer) are quite happy with DIY 3-way using a fullrange driver for 80% of the frequency range and just a super tweeter and a BR bass driver for extreme frequencies...

first argument is that there's no crossover or phase accident in the hear maximum sensitivity range, sound seems to be natural, fullrange driver have also for most of them good efficiency, it sound like perfection on paper...but...

in most of high end 3-way loudspeakers, there's high end sophisticated drivers with usual crossover in critical frequencies (voice, piano etc.), each driver fit of course his range with appropriate parameters.

A good fullrange driver can't be as stif as a a real midrange or bass driver, so i'm afraid of losing precision using a fullrange driver...

I'm considering Supravox 215RTF to cover 200 Hz-10.000 Hz, but I'm not sure it will be accurate and I hope it can handle enough SPL...

planet10 said:
How loud do you need to go?

This is the kind of system i like to run -- i refer to it as "mostly full range". If you find the Supravox to your taste go for it... they are well respected

Getting top & bottom to mesh well is sometimes a bit of a challenge

dave
I have no SPL meter but I'm quite happy with SPL produced by a 2*50 Watts amplifier and a 90 dB/W/m sensitivity loudspeaker, it means no more than 100dB SPL peaks I think

it's for domestic use but I'm listening a little bit louder than most of audiophile I invite home so system should be accurate this way I've never heard the supravox but it seems to be quite good for people who experiment it, the 6.5'' option "165LB" is also on the way for better directivity.
I'm going to use them sealed I think.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.