Sealed midbass vs BR, why not sealed ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I plan to use a DCX2496 DSP to manage active crossover and equalization of my three way baffle.

For the bass section, I plan to use a 12'' driver like JBL2206 or Beyma 12G40, standard design is bass reflex enclosure of 40-60 liters tuned to 40-50 Hz.

We found majority of low Qts drivers designed for bass reflex application, what happenf if used in sealed enclosure with equalization to have same freq response and a high pass to prevent max cone excursion ??????
I hope sealed box has better sound than bass reflex one ?

You can do as you propose, the problem is that it takes a lot of power to drive the system. If your amp is large enough and the driver capable of handling the power required to achieve the levels you want then go for it. Most very low (.25 or less) Qts drivers are quite happy in small closed cabinets; in the case of musical instrument drivers that's just what they're intended for, albeit with no response below 100 Hz.

mbon said:

We found majority of low Qts drivers designed for bass reflex application, what happend if used in sealed enclosure with equalization to have same freq response and a high pass to prevent max cone excursion ??????
I hope sealed box has better sound than bass reflex one ?

It will work very well, IMO, you are right that a sealed box should sound better, but you can only know if you try it. I had a look at your own subwoofer design! woowwww, thats a lot of lead you used! What is the weight of each box? beautiful finish to. Cherry right ;)

Re: Re: Sealed midbass vs BR, why not sealed ?

Paradise_Ice said:

It will work very well, IMO, you are right that a sealed box should sound better, but you can only know if you try it. I had a look at your own subwoofer design! woowwww, thats a lot of lead you used! What is the weight of each box? beautiful finish to. Cherry right ;)
thank you for my subs, using only one passive radiator results in high mechanical constraint on the box, it can move itself on the floor !!!!!!
Lead on wood MDF simply double the box weight ! formula is easy !

I must order speakers for my beautiful three way design but it seems that a good driver for BR is not always as good for sealed design so I must choose Qts, Fs, VAS to have good sealed results...
It's not so easy, wich is the best bass (not subbass) driver for bass sealed enclosure (say 40-200Hz) ???????
I'd like to play with 12'' driver from JBLpro or Beyma but with a Qtc of .707, I've got too small boxes, with 0.5 I can user near to 50 liter sealed enclosure with F3=120 Hz so strong equalization is needed to reach 40 Hz !!!!!!!!!!

thank you for my subs, using only one passive radiator results in high mechanical constraint on the box, it can move itself on the floor !!!!!!
Lead on wood MDF simply double the box weight ! formula is easy !

I must order speakers for my beautiful three way design but it seems that a good driver for BR is not always as good for sealed design so I must choose Qts, Fs, VAS to have good sealed results...
It's not so easy, wich is the best bass (not subbass) driver for bass sealed enclosure (say 40-200Hz) ???????
I'd like to play with 12'' driver from JBLpro or Beyma but with a Qtc of .707, I've got too small boxes, with 0.5 I can user near to 50 liter sealed enclosure with F3=120 Hz so strong equalization is needed to reach 40 Hz !!!!!!!!!!

Asking myself this very question. Also, POOH says for horns I need all drivers to have high efficiency. Even those without horns.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.