dipole midrange or subwoofer, distance with wall ? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th June 2004, 12:00 PM   #1
mbon is offline mbon  France
diyAudio Member

Default dipole midrange or subwoofer, distance with wall ?

I was considering building Orion's or something is this spirit but I must place the speaker near the wall (1 feet between wall and rear of the baffle), it seems that dipole is not a good option in this context.

Any experiences or advice ?
Old 10th June 2004, 12:15 PM   #2
Banned

Quite correct. Monopoles work best with close wall placement, dipoles far from the wall.
Old 10th June 2004, 02:14 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to johninCR Send a message via MSN to johninCR Send a message via Yahoo to johninCR
Bill may be correct with a flat baffle dipole or the Orions, but I've used swept back wings and a top (to cut down on ceiling reflections) plus rear wave attentuation with polyfill and foam rubber. I find they sound best very close to the wall or very far from it with the only problem being in the 2-4ft distance.

I think the answer is that you can make close placement work by attentuating the rear wave and maybe some absorption or diffusion on the wall. Dipole is a very flexible and easily adjustable design that can be made to suit placement needs unlike monopoles that can sound their best with only one placement out away from the walls.
Old 11th June 2004, 04:18 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by johninCR
Bill may be correct with a flat baffle dipole or the Orions, but I've used swept back wings and a top (to cut down on ceiling reflections) plus rear wave attentuation with polyfill and foam rubber. I find they sound best very close to the wall or very far from it with the only problem being in the 2-4ft distance.

I think the answer is that you can make close placement work by attentuating the rear wave and maybe some absorption or diffusion on the wall. Dipole is a very flexible and easily adjustable design that can be made to suit placement needs unlike monopoles that can sound their best with only one placement out away from the walls.
Siegfried demonstrate that bass response will be irregular with short wall distance in a dipole, midrange should works but losing the sound width. It makes me sad that such a design needs a big room because more than 4 feet from wall means to have a big room. I think we can say that an open baffled near the wall with some absorption is between dipole and monopole, with the wall, baffle just make a big box with a big port ! Something like this :

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11th June 2004, 06:11 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to johninCR Send a message via MSN to johninCR Send a message via Yahoo to johninCR
Not like that, too big and it looks like most of the baffle is against the wall. The rear wave needs to "breathe" more to the sides
Like this:

It's 82cmX33cmX28cm deep and could be more compact. The W baffle in the bottom extends response well into the 40's.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg he8.1 dipoles.jpg (30.0 KB, 237 views)
Old 11th June 2004, 06:16 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Not like that, too big and it looks like most of the baffle is against the wall. The rear wave needs to "breathe" more to the sides
Like this:

It's 82cmX33cmX28cm deep and could be more compact. The W baffle in the bottom extends response well into the 40's.
OK, nice open baffled, I'd like to try this supravox one, looks beautiful with some of the best fullrange driver :

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11th June 2004, 06:26 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I've seen some raving reports about the Supravox 215 bicone on some quite small baffles. A pair of those will probably be my next audio splurge.
Old 11th June 2004, 06:31 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I've seen some raving reports about the Supravox 215 bicone on some quite small baffles. A pair of those will probably be my next audio splurge.
+1, only read unbelievable comments about the quality sound of a supravox 215, the fullrange configuration with a super tweeter and a bass driver is what I'm looking for and of course on open baffled !
Old 11th June 2004, 06:35 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Planet10 listened to a pair at a group get together and said it was the best of the group. I think it was just a single driver setup.
Old 11th June 2004, 06:40 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Planet10 listened to a pair at a group get together and said it was the best of the group. I think it was just a single driver setup.
It can works as a single driver but in a box (BR, TQWT etc.) as open baffled, I doubt that it can manage below 150 Hz.
I should try this driver, but it's not cheap

Hide this!Advertise here!