Distance of port to back wall?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
In a quick search, a number of manufacturers suggest placement similar to Vikash at about one port diameter. I must admit that, intuitively, this seems wrong to me. Particularly considering the air velocity for 109db @ 19Hz in a 3" port will approach 30ft/sec. (this is also an argument that velocity and not acceleration is more directly responsible for SPL, but that's a different discussion.)

I think I would consider a larger port if possible.

I would be very interested to hear an explenation on how you can place the port so close to a wall and not adversely affect its output.

The critical distance is when the the CSA of the port
circumference to the wall = the CSA of the port.

This occurs when the spacing is 1/4 of the port diameter.

So I agree with Vikash, and have to disagree with MarkP.

And to answer Roddyama's query with a spacing of 1 port
diameter away from the wall the acoustic impedance change
at the exit of the port is only slightly affected.

Note that there is a huge change in air velocity at the exit.

:) sreten.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
sreten said:
And to answer Roddyama's query with a spacing of 1 port
diameter away from the wall the acoustic impedance change
at the exit of the port is only slightly affected.

Note that there is a huge change in air velocity at the exit.

Yes, I can see the where the air velocity would change dramatically at the port exit (essentially a half space). What it seems you should get is the loading on the port of a conical horn that is expanding at the rate of 2pi X distance from the ports center.

roddyama said:

Yes, I can see the where the air velocity would change dramatically at the port exit (essentially a half space). What it seems you should get is the loading on the port of a conical horn that is expanding at the rate of 2pi X distance from the ports center.

Well its only 2pi for half effective baffle width, after that its 4pi,
given free space. For close to wall its ~ 2pi above baffle width.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.