diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Multi-Way (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/)
-   -   Black hole? (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/35722-black-hole.html)

Nappylady 9th June 2004 04:43 PM

Black hole?

I was thinking, you know, it's really frustrating to have to build such large, cumbersome boxes to get good bass... and once they get big, you invariably have to put bracing in, and put lead bitumen in it, and sand underneath, and spikes, and they weigh more than one might think reasonable...

Then I thought, is there any way to incorporate a black hole (or other astrological anomaly) into the design, to reduce the need for a large box? If the black hole were aligned to act as a portal to another dimension, we could build a box as big as we wanted in the other dimension, and have a dinky little box in our dimension with great bass! Just think of it--by *not* putting a box in the other dimension, a closed box of any size would instantly become infinite baffle!

Anyone tried this?

HeatMiser 9th June 2004 05:17 PM

Brilliant. In such a system, the crossover capacitors could also be replaced by Flux Capacitors, thus enabling electrical time-alignment by carefully sending signals back in time as appropriate.

Of course that would require 1.21 gigawatts to fully charge the Flux Capacitors, but it shouldn't be a problem for those with dedicated audio power circuits. :cannotbe:

Nappylady 9th June 2004 05:20 PM

BRILLIANT!!

I've been struggling with that notion for a while... whether it's possible or not to get time and phase alignment by moving signals backwards in time... by implementing this in my PA system, I'll be able to have correct time alignment without a delay, so I will hear more accurately what's going on!

Thanks so much!

Anyone know a supplier of black holes and flux capacitors? I searched at Parts Express and couldn't find any....

Vikash 9th June 2004 05:26 PM

IIRC then black holes are black because of gravitation pull and past a certain point anything within distance of it will be sucked in beyond saving. Therefore I conclude that you're going to need a good gasket, and you may experience some response problems with the cone being sucked in a little.

Nappylady 9th June 2004 05:29 PM

Oh yeah, forgot something else--it's a BLACK hole, so it will match my PA system perfectly! 'Cos it's BLACK! :D :D :D :D

ralph-bway 9th June 2004 05:34 PM

NappyLady,

Thanks for the thread. It reminded me to take my medication.

Very cute.

Best,

Ralph

Bill Fitzpatrick 9th June 2004 05:45 PM

Back to the drawing board.

The Schwarzschild radius is too big. If the rear acoustic wave disappears into the hole, so does the front.

SY 9th June 2004 05:47 PM

A Klein-bottle-shaped enclosure will not show the fundamental resonance of other boxes. It's an alternative worth considering.

Vikash 9th June 2004 05:49 PM

what you need is one of those stargate thingemies, but sadly they only come in water effect finish.

NH7RO 9th June 2004 08:45 PM

Suggest you cover the outside of the box (the one in this dimension) with Black Hole Pad so as to match the bigger one...:smash: Jeff