exploring Vifa XT line

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Based on my VERY limited knowledge of drivers and their specs, I came to the conclusion that the woven glass woofer is the best for bass, while the two wooden drivers are better for mid reproduction, with the most expensive wood driver (the one with the largest magnet) being the best for mids, although the smaller wooden driver has the smoothest high-end roll-off of the three. All this assuming a sealed enclosure is employed.

I wanted to get opinions of the experts on whether my assumptions are true. Are the more expensive drivers worth it for the midrange? Can I cross them over higher? Is there less distortion? The thing that I really like about the woven glass drivers is how they look! At about $60 each, they can offer much flexibility - use one for midrange, and three for bass in a three way, or use two for mids in MTM and another three or four for bass..... Stick a gainclone on each and you have a winner, seems to me. Anyone care to comment?

Hi,

I'm working part time (as student life) in www.speakerenco.nl
I've listened to the korrekt XT and like the sound very much.
Tight bass from wich you don't expect for such driver.
Details are fine, and the XT-25 (or 300) takes over at 3000Hz.
My current project is building the ASE Nykron in a different enclosure.. (looks like the ss reference plus).
I'll post when it's finished.

Regards,
Remco Blankesteijn

blank527 said:
Hi,

I'm working part time (as student life) in www.speakerenco.nl
I've listened to the korrekt XT and like the sound very much.
Tight bass from wich you don't expect for such driver.
Details are fine, and the XT-25 (or 300) takes over at 3000Hz.
My current project is building the ASE Nykron in a different enclosure.. (looks like the ss reference plus).
I'll post when it's finished.

Regards,
Remco Blankesteijn

Do you know which one of the XT drivers it was?

Re: sonus faber grand piano

pjb said:
I believe the SF Grand Piano (used to own a pair) used these woofers (in a 2.5-way).

Great speaker.

It so happens that this speaker got me interested in the black glass driver. I always though it looked great, especially framed in the wonderful woodwork of the SF. It sounded great also, but defiantly overpriced when looking at sound vs price. Looks vs. price is ok I think. But it looks like they are using a modified version of the driver.

Another loudspeaker that uses this black fiber glass woofer from vifa (custom version though) is Avantek Six from Swedish Audio Pro.

The sound of them is really good and the bass is more than enough, not very detailed bass, detailed mids, very fast. The bass is sometimes a bit fat.

Here's a picture of its woofer:

Attachments

• vifa.jpg
    vifa.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 243
michaelpage26 said:
Another loudspeaker that uses this black fiber glass woofer from vifa (custom version though) is Avantek Six from Swedish Audio Pro.

The sound of them is really good and the bass is more than enough, not very detailed bass, detailed mids, very fast.the bass sometimes is a bit fat.

Here's a picture of it's woofer:

I am not familitar with this speaker, but the "fat" bass may be attributed to ported/TL design as apposed to sealed.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.