Question on HP filter for satellites

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi.

I am in the process of building a pair of kit 81s from Adire using the sealed box design (60 Hz to 20kHz) for home theater use shown here:

http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/KIT81Plans.PDF

I hope to build another pair for rears and a center channel when the money gets less tight.

I am also in the process of installing two PE 15" IB speakers in a manifold in my ceiling/attic as a subwoofer for the home theater.

The fronts (and eventually rears and center) will be powered by a Panasonic SA-XR50 receiver. (Subs will be powered by a plate amp).

My question is, should I cross over the satellites in order to keep them from trying to reproduce deep bass sounds that the subs will be producing? If so, should I just use a simple first order Butterworth crossover (cap) or would some other method be better?

I have read the receiver has a built in 100Hz sub crossover, but im not sure if that is HP for the speaker output, LP for the sub output or both.

Many of the HT receivers give you the option. eg My Denon AVR-1804 in the setup menu gives the "big" or "small" speaker options for the mains, center and surrounds. On "big" they get the full signal and on "small" they get only what is not sent to the sub. I'm still working on some good surrounds, so everthing is set on "big" except the surrounds, which would be perfect for you.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.