Tang Band W3-532S vs 871's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Anyone out there familiar with these drivers. I have 16 of them that I am finally getting around to doing something with. I was thinking of a mini line array with 8 per side on a winged open baffle and some PT2's.

I see everyone talk about the 871's, but never any mention of this model. It is the one with the neo magnet so it has a very small profile which looks nice in terms of rearward radiation.

Thanks guys.....Greg

I have tested a number of the 532 drivers. Like the paper 871, they have a large spike in the output around 17 to 18 kHz caused by cone breakup. Other TB 3 inch PPM drivers (2 inch cones) that have a shallower basket and a shorter voice coil former do not suffer from this high frequency problem. The 532 also shows a lot of driver to driver variability. It would be worth your time and effort to try matching drivers for both side to side balance and for selecting position in the array.

I have an AudioXpress article scheduled for publication later this year that will go into more detail on the TB PPM problems and some simple solutions. I have a picture of one of my modified 881S cones in the system picture thread. Many of those modifications will also help the 532. If you e-mail me and promise not to share I will reply with more details of specific modifications for the 532.

Best of luck,

Mark

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.