80Hz hypex Edgarhorn - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th June 2004, 11:28 AM   #1
Rocky is offline Rocky  Norway
diyAudio Member

Default 80Hz hypex Edgarhorn

Have anyone on this forum built Bruce Edgars 80Hz hypex midbasshorn? I've been looking around for plans on these horns with no real success... Does anyone know where to get plans for them? Perhaps I should just email Bruce?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg capturfj.jpg (8.2 KB, 1780 views)
Old 5th June 2004, 02:23 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

correction; I believe the flare is 100Hz.. not 80Hz..

I would also be interrested in details on Edgar's midbass horn from the Titan... If anyone has any...
Old 5th June 2004, 04:36 PM   #3
Frode is offline Frode  Norway
diyAudio Member

The earliest models were 100Hz, the current is 80Hz. Bruce Edgar sell them finished or as kits. You can't buy plans for them. Which driver do you have in mind?

Frode
Old 5th June 2004, 04:47 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks Frode.

So far, I am thinking about the JBL D130A... In any case I will use a 15'' driver, short excursion, stiff suspension, high sensitivity...

They are sold as "kits"? what the heck is included in such a kit? Lumber?
Old 5th June 2004, 05:04 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

He sells the horn shell for $200 each. You build the box around it. You could probably find enough info on the web to build your own pair. I guess shipping to Norway would be quite costly. The JBL would probably work very good in this kind of horn.

Frode
Old 5th June 2004, 05:15 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default Edgarhorn Clone?

I see... I recently bought a pair of TAD 4001 drivers from overseas, and ended up paying $175 for shipping the 30kg crate to norway That kind of killed my enthusiasm for buying stuff in the US even though dollars are ridiculously cheap these days

If Mr. Edgar sold plans for the horns I would have paid for them, but since he does not sell plans; Does anyone have some info on these horns that could enable me to build a pair? Any other plans for similar horns on the net? (I am not looking for tractrix designs..). I need the WAF of the edgarhorn...
Old 5th June 2004, 05:25 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi

Rocky, why don't you design your own midbass horn?
Programs to design horn contours are on the net,
and Hornresponse will help you simulate your designs.
You will probably have to build a few prototypes before
you are satisfied with the sound,
but it's a great learning experience

Inspiration here:
http://www.volvotreter.de/

cheers
Old 5th June 2004, 05:56 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Hei på deg Jan, you're still lurking around every time the word "horn" is mentioned

I've thought about designing my own horn, but found that I would rather use a good working existing design for midbass. Hornresp will brobably be used to aid a cloning attempt in any case, but I'd like to get the midbass "right" at first attempt, as I will put an effort into the cabinets.. The back chamber will ofcourse be made tunable so that I can optimize it's volume without changing the outter appereance.. I'm thinking layers of MDF that can be attached/detached in the chamber.. And I'll build the chamber within the horn construction, to avoid a silly box poking out of my cabinets..

I have soo many aspects about my project to focus my concern on, and would like to not have the midbass horn design as one of those.

BTW I have decided on using passive XOs the first run, aiming at a sensitivity around 105dB/W, to focus my funds into the horns and drivers instead of amplifiers.. I'll be running the midbass mated with the 2'' TADs on 350Hz tractrix SBs, and I badly want a pair of those old Ionovac supertweeters for extension in the highs.. Killer killer killer...
Old 5th June 2004, 06:00 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by slowmotion
Inspiration here:
http://www.volvotreter.de/
Volvotreters pages and posts was a major initial inspiration for comitting to a 2'' compression drivers and horns. But his midbass is a tractrix contour, something I do not want in my midbass setup.. I want all the juice down to the cutoff flare.. Tractrix can't give me that.. Still, his horns are amazing. Inspiring. I wonder what they sound like
Old 5th June 2004, 07:05 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I agree with slowmotion, go for your own design. Edgars exponential horns have around 520 sq.cm throat, 2900 sq.cm mouth and 55-60cm length. The backchamber for the EVM15L is around 30-35L. It shouldn't be too difficult make your own based on this information.

Frode

Hide this!Advertise here!