80Hz hypex Edgarhorn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Have anyone on this forum built Bruce Edgars 80Hz hypex midbasshorn? I've been looking around for plans on these horns with no real success... Does anyone know where to get plans for them? Perhaps I should just email Bruce?

Attachments

• capturfj.jpg
    capturfj.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 2,344
He sells the horn shell for $200 each. You build the box around it. You could probably find enough info on the web to build your own pair. I guess shipping to Norway would be quite costly. The JBL would probably work very good in this kind of horn.

Frode

Edgarhorn Clone?

I see... I recently bought a pair of TAD 4001 drivers from overseas, and ended up paying $175 for shipping the 30kg crate to norway :bigeyes: That kind of killed my enthusiasm for buying stuff in the US even though dollars are ridiculously cheap these days :(

If Mr. Edgar sold plans for the horns I would have paid for them, but since he does not sell plans; Does anyone have some info on these horns that could enable me to build a pair? Any other plans for similar horns on the net? (I am not looking for tractrix designs..). I need the WAF of the edgarhorn...

Hei på deg Jan, you're still lurking around every time the word "horn" is mentioned ;)

I've thought about designing my own horn, but found that I would rather use a good working existing design for midbass. Hornresp will brobably be used to aid a cloning attempt in any case, but I'd like to get the midbass "right" at first attempt, as I will put an effort into the cabinets.. The back chamber will ofcourse be made tunable so that I can optimize it's volume without changing the outter appereance.. I'm thinking layers of MDF that can be attached/detached in the chamber.. And I'll build the chamber within the horn construction, to avoid a silly box poking out of my cabinets..

I have soo many aspects about my project to focus my concern on, and would like to not have the midbass horn design as one of those.

BTW I have decided on using passive XOs the first run, aiming at a sensitivity around 105dB/W, to focus my funds into the horns and drivers instead of amplifiers.. I'll be running the midbass mated with the 2'' TADs on 350Hz tractrix SBs, and I badly want a pair of those old Ionovac supertweeters for extension in the highs.. Killer killer killer... :cool:

slowmotion said:
Volvotreters pages and posts was a major initial inspiration for comitting to a 2'' compression drivers and horns. ;) But his midbass is a tractrix contour, something I do not want in my midbass setup.. I want all the juice down to the cutoff flare.. Tractrix can't give me that.. Still, his horns are amazing. Inspiring. I wonder what they sound like :rolleyes:

I agree with slowmotion, go for your own design. Edgars exponential horns have around 520 sq.cm throat, 2900 sq.cm mouth and 55-60cm length. The backchamber for the EVM15L is around 30-35L. It shouldn't be too difficult make your own based on this information.

Frode

Sorry english speaking people.. I'm drunk, tired (ooh, late), and there are only norwegians that have replied so far in this thread, so i'll simply take this in norwegian..:xeye:

If it shows up to be a good idea when I dry up, i'll translate in the morning..:smash:

Fikk akkurat en knakende lur idé her... Om å lage trykkammer til mellombassen i et "kabinett" som også holder 2'' kompresjonsdriveren... Ideen er egentlig bare at da blir det enkelt å "time-aligne voicecoil'ene", og ymse midbasshorn kan lages til i bøyd finer, og festes til en solid adapter foran på trykkammeret...

Lettere å experimentere... men tror jeg isåfall ønsker å redusere driverstørrelse til 12'' (WAF-bjellen ringer igjen)... fortsatt kort vandring, stivt oppheng, og høyest mulig sensitivitet (Så en special reconed JBL 12'' her for en liten stund siden, med 102dB/W/m, 8 ohm, så mye er mulig..) Feedback?

EDIT: Masse plass til passive delefiltre også.. og mulighet for innvendige kabler... Superdiskant festes bare med en bøyle eller noe... senere...

Attachments

• giffy.gif
    giffy.gif
    6.8 KB · Views: 1,167
Maybe with an added shelf for a supertweeter as pictured in my poor illustration below...

It should be said that I imagine the woofer box to have some sort of tube going somewhere... a closed tube, not for bacloading the driver, but for tuning the back chamber (like a trombone?)

Attachments

• giffy.gif
    giffy.gif
    2.7 KB · Views: 1,091
I am aware of the problems of drivers rolling around if you put the drivers like I drawed them, they will ofcourse be mounted in one way or another.. Drawings was just to illustrate the thought, you'll probably get the picture..

The round thingy at the top is ofcourse the raw 2'' compression driver.. horns will be mounted on everything...

You are right, Frode. I would not want my midbass horn to vibrate. The edgar midbass seems like a good construction...

If I am to embark onto designing my own midbass horn, I need some advice. First, I'd like to know how the vertical positioning of the horn throat (relative to the horn mouth) affects performance..See my attached drawing, where the left horn has the throat aligned to the mid position, while the right drawing has the horn mouth moved upwards. Keep in mind that the driver it should integrate with is a round tractrix positioned above, like shown above the right horn drawing (I will not use horn lenses). Crossover is 500Hz, Midbass horn has a 80Hz hypex flare.

Attachments

• giffy.gif
    giffy.gif
    25.6 KB · Views: 627
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.