80Hz hypex Edgarhorn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Rocky

Would something like this be possible?

cheers ;)

Attachments

• rocky.gif
    rocky.gif
    3.5 KB · Views: 954
I'm settling on the thought of an edgarhorn type horn.. Now, Frode gave me some useful data of 2900sqcm mouth and 520sqcm throat... to get further I will need to know a couple of things...

1) I want full juice down to the cutoff-freq, as I intend to use the system for a good while without subs (yes I know I need subs...).. Also, the subs are less likely to be horn type, so i'd like to get as much bottom out of the 80Hz-85Hz flare of the "edgarhorn clone" as possible.. Is the Hypex-contour used by Jensen (T-factor of .6) an ideal choice? (straight horn, mated to tractrix 2'' TAD compression driver at @500Hz)

2) I know the mouth area I am likely to use, but how big should the chamber between the driver's cone and the horn throat be? How do I calculate this pressure chamber, and what is the effects of it?

:rolleyes:

Hej deroppe i Norge

Godt at se at der også er TAD og horn ikke kun i Danmark.

Tak for det gode link. Jeg skal bygge mig et sæt horn meget a.lal. det til sommer, så det er godt med inputs. Jeg skal bruge TAD 1201H til det. Spiller selv lige nu på 4002, men har også haft 2001 og 4001.

Ha' det og i velkomne til at kigge forbi hvis i kommer forbi København.

Tadman

Rocky, why don't you design your own midbass horn?
Programs to design horn contours are on the net,
and Hornresponse will help you simulate your designs.
You will probably have to build a few prototypes before
you are satisfied with the sound,
but it's a great learning experience :)

Inspiration here:
http://www.volvotreter.de/

cheers ;) [/B][/QUOTE]

Erf.. the last sentence of my last post was a bit messed up... "I know the mouth area I am likely to use, ..." should ofcourse be "I know the throat area I am likely to use, ..."

TADman; I am likely to drop by Køben sometime during the summer. I usually do :D One magnificient city.. :nod:

Rocky said:
I'm settling on the thought of an edgarhorn type horn.. Now, Frode gave me some useful data of 2900sqcm mouth and 520sqcm throat... to get further I will need to know a couple of things...

1) I want full juice down to the cutoff-freq, as I intend to use the system for a good while without subs (yes I know I need subs...).. Also, the subs are less likely to be horn type, so i'd like to get as much bottom out of the 80Hz-85Hz flare of the "edgarhorn clone" as possible.. Is the Hypex-contour used by Jensen (T-factor of .6) an ideal choice? (straight horn, mated to tractrix 2'' TAD compression driver at @500Hz)

2) I know the mouth area I am likely to use, but how big should the chamber between the driver's cone and the horn throat be? How do I calculate this pressure chamber, and what is the effects of it?

:rolleyes:

1) Edgar uses pure exponential flare (t=1). If you choose the t=0.6 flare, the horn gets longer for a spesific frequency. As I said before, you could go for a LaScala clone which I believe have more bottom.

2) I believe that the Edgarhorn use a flat baffle with the driver mounted directly on to it. The frontchamber is the volume enclosed by the cone of the speaker and the baffle.

Frode

The LS will go down to around 60Hz. I've seen people claiming that it will reach 700-800Hz, but let's say around 500Hz. The original XO-point is 400Hz. The length is around 70-80cm, so time alignment isn't a big problem. Here's a quote from Bruce Edgar:

' Below 500Hz you can have a 5msec time delay and still not hear it. 5 msec is 5 ft path length difference. So don't worry about time delays.'

If you don't want a sub, you could modify the LS with a reflex part(picture attached). This gives you strong response down to 30Hz.

You can use the original Klipsch driver or something like the JBL 2226.

Frode

The straight Edgar style hypex horn is quite a bit better for hifi than the W style Klipsch. Anytime the horn is folded the sound quality goes down. This is true from the midbass up and very apparent in the midrange. The problem with a straight horn is the fact it is not folded and tends to be quite long. A quarter size 80 Hz hypes isn't too bad. If you build one be sure and get the back chamber sized right for reactance anulling. When done properly it will go down to 75-80 Hz abd will be startling in bass detail, snap and realism -- making the Lascala sound slow, colored and fake.

Frode; Can the performance of such a construction really battle a straight horn? Have you ever heard it? Can you describe it's sound? I've been browsing around for experiences with it, but cannot find any detailed description of their performance... I've seen them a couple of places mated with Oris horns, but they are probably crossed much lower..

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Frode said:
I've used the regular and the vented version myself. The problem is that my only reference is the 2226H in a reflex box. Now I'm building subs, so straight is very interesting for me too. The XO with the Oris is 150-220Hz.

Frode

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Forget about using a straight horn for a sub! It will be as long as your room -- Straight horns are practical to about 60 cycles - below that folding the horn makes more sense. I use 70 cycle straight horns and 20 cycle folded bass horns (three as big as a wall) for below 60 Hz -

The backchamber for a D130 in a 80 Hz hypex is around 7-8 liters if I remember -- I used the 2220A - the D130 pro version.

Hi

I've not heard the Scala, but I know that the danish distributor of EC has got a pair. Maybe you should get to Aarhus for a visit.

Jeg kender Oris hornene rigtig godt. Det er ikke lige min kop te. De beamer som en i helvede og Lowtherne gør dem ikke bedre. Prøv en god compressions driver en dag på et godt horn!!!!

Tadman

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.