What are the disadvantages of an MTM array...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, there might be another small problem sometimes is that if the 2 woofers are wired in parallel, the impedance can be low (like 3 Ohm or maybe less if you have 6 Ohm woofers). But that is not always a problem.

Also, lobbing is not so bad if you keep drivers close together.

F

About lobing of MTM.
Below is Matlab plots of lobing of a MTM, 2500hz x-over, third order, drivers spaced one wavelegth appart.

Attachments

• 500hz.jpg
    500hz.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 269
Looks like I could be wrong. I read an article in Speaker builder some years back that extolled the virtues of MTM because the polar response was +0/-3 db. Could this have been been only at the crossover frequency and lobing will occur at other frequencies due to the displacment between the LF drivers?? Is this the issue with MTM?
I'm trying to understand it better as I obviously have an incomplete grasp of the topic.

The plots are purely mathematical. No drivers are true pointsources so in reality the dispersion will be somewhat smeared. Real world measurements may show as good as 0/-3db at x-over frequency.
The major lobing are, as you say, at lower frequencies due to the spacing between the M's.
However, with even order x-over, the lobing is not nearly as evenly spread. If you are interested I can post same plots with a 4:th order x-over.

/Jesper

audiosteve said:
Looks like I could be wrong. I read an article in Speaker builder some years back that extolled the virtues of MTM because the polar response was +0/-3 db. Could this have been been only at the crossover frequency and lobing will occur at other frequencies due to the displacment between the LF drivers?? Is this the issue with MTM?
I'm trying to understand it better as I obviously have an incomplete grasp of the topic.

was the article about vertical or horizontal polar response?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.