Double Back Horn MTM project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, done a bit more now, starting to get more of a feel for how theyre going to look when they're done :) just for fun i tried putting the workshop radio at the throat, definitely improves the sound lol. Please feel free to comment!
Cheers,
Steve

Attachments

• imgp0483.jpg
    imgp0483.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 406
baggystevo82 said:
Woah they look huge!! I like. so is the bass driver in the top somewhere then?
Cheers,
Steve

They are around 6 foot 3 tall and three feet deep.

The bass drivers are in the top compression chamber firing down. The owner loves them.

This picture shows the 18" down firing horn sub I also built for him. It goes pretty low with lots of power and definition.

He recently sent me this after he got back from CES:

"BTW, I went to CES and heard a zillion speakers in the $40, 000 -
>> $125, 000 range. I would not trade the MTM/Sub horn combo for
>> any of them. From midbass on down, none of them compete with my
>> system. From midrange on up, there was one speaker that
>> definetely bettered the MTM's. The MBL 101D (?) $47, 000, 360
>> degree radiation pattern. But, they are 82dB efficent and have
>> to be driven with crappy solid state, and they do not retain the
>> amazing midrange and treble qualities form the midbass on down."

;)
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Nice, puts it in perspective with that bike sat in the background!! I see you went with a frame construction too (by the looks of it anyway), how did you get on with that? I'm used to that kind of construction from furniture making, but not many people seem to do it much for speaker cabinets. I think I'm using wenge for the frame and rippled sycamore veneer for the panels, should hopefully match the contrasts of materials in the Fostex drivers quite nicely :)
Cheers,
Steve

The horn sub was designed to extend the bottom of the some PHY 'fullrange' speakers - the cabinet matched them pretty well - then he decided he wanted something better than the PHY's and decided to go cherry and a vintage look on the 'Stargate MTM's.' I've used the frame construction on other cabinets too. I like to mix baltic birch ply and solid oak with pine bracing. It always sounds good.

Here's another MTM I built a few years ago loaded with the same drivers for the satellites but used folded horn loaded 18's for bass. These sound pretty good. The walnut cabinet sidewall were filled with sand. I have four RCA 10" field coil drivers I'm going to try in these someday with beefed up (BIG neo magnets) Heil Air Motion Transformers in place of the ribbons.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hi Scott,
Well we were hoping to have these prototyped, tested and built properly by the bristol show, but as things turned out we didn't make it in time :( (by the way I'm trying to move this to more than just a hobby for me now)
We will be at the Upton jazz festival primarily as cabinet makers in a few weeks though, and hopefully will have some horns to bring along too, though not these ones. As soon as we do any more on the double horns I'll put it up here. Let me know how you get on with yours!!
Cheers,
Steve

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.