What connection method to bypass internal xover and go active? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd June 2004, 09:09 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default What connection method to bypass internal xover and go active?

The speakers in question are the Audax-CC-as-fronts that I am building, discussed in an older thread, thanks to sreten.

I have all the passive xover components, but I think I would like to go active with these with the MOX boards from the group buy, yet still retain the passive xovers within the speaker.

I am wondering if someone has some slick techniques for switching the xover in and out of the speaker connections. By slick I don't necessarily mean an elaborate switching system, maybe just a matter of good parts placement for the sake of neatness.

I don't remember coming across this; it seems like most people just open up the speaker and modify the connections on a semi-permanent basis.
Old 2nd June 2004, 09:48 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

if you don't expect to go back and forth too often, why not just mount the crossover so that you can easily reach it through the woofer hole, leave the binding post to XO leads long enough to attach to the drivers (assuming that you are set up to biwire) and solder the conenction as appropriate.

The less audiophile correct solution would be to use spade quick connect terminals and swap the lead positions as appropriate. Hey, you could do this until you decide which implimentation you like better, then solder in place.
Old 2nd June 2004, 10:04 PM   #3
Banned

You really need to make a decision which it's going to be. Even if you added extra binding posts on the outside of the cabinet going directly to the drivers the passive crossover components are only partially bypassed, and they will still have influence over the circuit.
On the other hand, bi- or tri-amping with an active crossover is so sonically superior to a single amp with passive crossover there's no reason to look back anyway.

Hide this!Advertise here!