Unknown Audax units

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I recently purchased 4 unknown units, but they must be Audax units.

On the units I can read the following:
- Vision Acoustique
- Ref 40170 DB
- 101352L 29001

The units have a double voice-coil and I measure a Re of 6.3 Ohm.

They are propably Audax units, because the physical measurements are exactly the same as the Audax HM170G8 units. They look also very similar.

Can anybody give me some more data? (Thiele/Schmale?)

Audax France and Holland will not answer email.

Thanks

Luuk

Those are definitely Audax numbers on the back. They were likely made specifically for the manufacturer. Audax will not give out specs on customer specific units.

Audax is not going out of business. They are stopping their consumer and professional related business (both standard products and OEM) and will be manufacturing only products for Harman's automotive OEM business.

Audax went bankrupt in 1986. In 1987 Harman picked them up at a very attractive price. It has been a Harman organization ever since. So there was a time where they were all but out of business. Getting product at that time was very sketchy and a lot of stuff got discontinued.

This time around has been a bit different. All the OEM customers have been told they need find a new supplier by the end of 2004. Production of standard products will also be stopped at some point in 2004. There is no new product development going on (for pro and consumer products) and no more pursuing new pro or consumer customers.

Hi,

Thank you all for answering.

Paradise_Ice,

I do not have a digital camera, but I posted a picture of the
Audax HM170G8, because it looks exactly the same including the inverse surrounding. The only difference I can tell is the double voice coil.

Luuk

Attachments

• hm170g8.jpg
    hm170g8.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 87
audax speakers

hi luuk
tell me about the cone : is it paper, hda, is it plain black both sides, or just black on the visible side ans grey inside the basket?
Vision acoustique was a french company now closed
as for other companies, Audax just made minor changes to their line so maybe your drivers are just plain audax specs drivers, nothing really special;
i was in the business, i can tell!
on first approximation , use the data you have for the hm170g8db and go on building your enclosures
cheers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.