ML-TQWT port direction : down/forward?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm not aware of port direction making a significant difference. I'm curious about why you feel that mid-range ripples are inherent. Most of the TLs I've heard have the best mids around. The mid-range is usually controlled by driver placement and stuffing.

GM

Joined 2003
No. Assuming the vent is in the lower 5th of the cab, placement is for looks/convenience. Bottom exit is nice if they sit on carpet as it attenuates port noise somewhat, allowing a smaller/shorter vent. If on a hard surface, the distance can be adjusted to further mass load the vent, either allowing for a shorter than predicted one or 'pumping up' the bottom end some. Ditto rear firing.

GM

The "inherent" ripples idea comes from the modeling (Martins) / RTA's I've seen compared to comparable to straight up bass reflex enclosures. Sure stuffing helps, but it seems like "cheating". I was hoping to get by with as little stuffing as possible.

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'll try a downward firing port.

-Jim

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.