ML-TQWT port direction : down/forward? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd June 2004, 12:24 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default ML-TQWT port direction : down/forward?

What if any difference does port direction make when building an ML-TQWT? I'm finishing up a new design and was ready to cut frount facing ports when I came across the "solo" :http://diyaudio.8m.com/Solo/solo.html where the port fires downward. Would the down firing port do anything to quell the ripples in the midrange inherent to TQWT's?

-Jim
Old 2nd June 2004, 06:26 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Any ideas?

-Jim
Old 2nd June 2004, 08:06 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I'm not aware of port direction making a significant difference. I'm curious about why you feel that mid-range ripples are inherent. Most of the TLs I've heard have the best mids around. The mid-range is usually controlled by driver placement and stuffing.
Old 2nd June 2004, 08:17 PM   #4
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

No. Assuming the vent is in the lower 5th of the cab, placement is for looks/convenience. Bottom exit is nice if they sit on carpet as it attenuates port noise somewhat, allowing a smaller/shorter vent. If on a hard surface, the distance can be adjusted to further mass load the vent, either allowing for a shorter than predicted one or 'pumping up' the bottom end some. Ditto rear firing.

GM
Old 2nd June 2004, 09:14 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

The "inherent" ripples idea comes from the modeling (Martins) / RTA's I've seen compared to comparable to straight up bass reflex enclosures. Sure stuffing helps, but it seems like "cheating". I was hoping to get by with as little stuffing as possible.

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'll try a downward firing port.

-Jim

Hide this!Advertise here!