Speaker measurement and simulation software? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st June 2004, 10:45 PM   #1
Few is offline Few  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Speaker measurement and simulation software?

Am I just missing it? I've done a search for past threads discussing which loudspeaker measurement and/or simulation software packages people have been happy or unhappy with and haven't turned up as much discussion as I expected. If I'm just missing the thread and someone knows how to find it, could you clue me in? I'm trying to avoid dragging everyone through familiar territory. I'm particularly interested in the $250 or less category, PC or Mac, and would like quite a bit of flexibility when examining time domain behavior (not just SPL plots).

Thanks.
Old 1st June 2004, 11:12 PM   #2
Mark Kravchenko --- www.kravchenko-audio.com
diyAudio Member

Default try this

I've used LSPCAD for about two years and it is very good. Compares quite favourably to LEAP which is in the 5K range.

Mark
Old 2nd June 2004, 02:03 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Plenty of sources.

How about Clio or Cliowin. I have the Clio standard and its great and very easy to use . A Lite version is also available from Audioxpress.
www.cliowin.com and www.audioxpress.com

Bass Box Pro for simulation . You can import Clio data into it.
www.ht-audio.com

More complex simulation can be done with Calsod 1.4 and 3.0
( higher version). This software can also import measurement files.
http://members.optusnet.com.au/~audiosoft/

I have the old Laud for measurement . Works fine . But now you only get the new version with an Audiopod that costs much more.
http://www.libinst.com/
You also have Sample Champion from Australia.

I've seen plots from DAAS and other software from Europe. So plenty of software and systems around.

There are many other simulation software around. Speakerworkshop , Winspeakerz,WinISD . I am not sure how good these are but seem to be less sophisticated than those above. This is not a complete list . There are plenty more. You may find a more comprehensive listing here ...........
http://members.optusnet.com.au/~audiosoft/sahfsd07.txt
Cheers.
Ashok.
Old 2nd June 2004, 03:07 AM   #4
tcpip is offline tcpip  India
diyAudio Member

Default Try Speaker Workshop

For speaker simulation software, you can try Speaker Workshop. It runs on MS Windows and the binary is available for free download, unrestricted functionality. Gooroo Angshoo, who started out with CALSOD 1.40, moved to Speaker Workshop later and has built one pair entirely using it. He says it's very good.

When you talk simulation, you may mean one of many things. Some software simulates the low end, and is used for box design. They use T/S parameters for normal boxes, and there are special programs which handle TQWT and other less common boxes. Then there is another class of simulation software which simulates crossovers, multi-driver polar patterns and so on. CALSOD is an old stalwart in this area, though there are many others. And Speaker Workshop does a good job here, though there may be minor differences between it and what CALSOD can do.

I feel that you may want to clarify what type of simulation software you're looking for, so that others can give you more specific pointers.
Old 2nd June 2004, 02:33 PM   #5
Few is offline Few  United States
diyAudio Member

Default clarification...

It was suggested that I be more specific about the software functionality I'm looking for. My initial post was brief because I wanted to be sure I hadn't missed a previous lengthy discussion of the issue before wasting everyone's time. Also, I've not been terribly specific yet because I'm trying to get a feel for what's currently available on all fronts before deciding where to dive in.

Measurement: In the past I've written my own LabView software to test drivers and speaker systems. I like the fact that it allows me to try anything that occurs to me, but it obviously involves a lot of wheel reinvention compared to purchasing dedicated measurement software. The validity of the results also depends on my competence (which is always in question). So, I thought I'd try to find out from users which prepackaged software they've been happiest with.

Modeling: I have used a couple of versions of LEAP in the past, when I taught a five-week loudspeaker design and contruction course for liberal arts college students. I ended up developing a love/hate relationship with LEAP. It had some wonderful capabilities but the interface drove me nuts. I haven't taught the course in several years and so I don't have a very up-to-date version of that software. Its cost motivates me to see what else is out there. When using early versions of LEAP I appreciated the fact that active and passive crossover optimization based on measured data was included as part of the package, and would like to find that functionality at a lower cost. I'm particularly interested in trying to optimize time-domain behavior of speakers and so would love to find software that directly addresses that issue (rather than just aiming for flat magnitude response). Are there any packages that predict a speaker system's response to an impulse or step, for example?

With respect to enclosure design, I'd like to be able model non-standard enclosures, if possible. As long as I'm generating a wish list, I'll say that software that seamlessly integrates the measurement and modeling operations would be ideal.

This all sounds like a tall order as I write it so I want to make it clear that I'm not really expecting to have all my design dreams satisfied, especially at a bargain price. My main goal at the moment is to become a bit better informed about what's currently available before deciding where to start laying out the cash--or whether to "roll my own" again. Thanks for the very helpful responses so far. I hope this extra information makes it easier for others to chime in.
Old 2nd June 2004, 03:07 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default Affordable solutions...........

Quote:
Are there any packages that predict a speaker system's response to an impulse or step, for example?
Yes Clio/Cliowin and Praxis do that and so do some others.
Both these come with hardware and software.

Quote:
With respect to enclosure design, I'd like to be able model non-standard enclosures, if possible
I think Calsod 3.1 should do that. But I don't know of a single software package that can do say open baffles ,TL's , normal boxes and horns !
Calsod is quite complex . Have a good look at the manual that you can download.

Check out the other solutions that are being recommended.
Cheers,
Ashok.
Old 3rd June 2004, 03:37 PM   #7
ucla88 is offline ucla88  Tahiti
diyAudio Member

My 2 cents.

I have cliowin lite, praxis, lspCAD, and Soundeasy. Of these, the most powerful measurement system is praxis. Cliowin is the easiest to use, but not quite as versatile. However, clio and praxis are not simulation/modeling programs.

Both LspCAD and SE have modest measurement systems but are geared more towards measurement and simulation. In their current iterations, SE is somewhat more powerful, but has a steeper learning curve.

If you get praxis or clio, you still need lspCAD or SE. If you get lspCAD or SE, you don't need a separate measurement system. However, if you want to look at nonstandard distortion or other measurements, you can't do this without a dedicated measurement system.

See my webpage link below for some praxis plots and functions.

I'm only vaguely familiar with leap, but the newer version seems well liked and very powerful. Whether or not you want to spend the money would be the issue here. Plus, while leap may indeed be very powerful, the corresponding measurement system, LMS, is, IMHO, not as versatile as praxis and more expensive.

Mark K's speaker pages
Old 3rd June 2004, 06:21 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I have LSPcad Pro and its great. I think its very easy to use and can do most things most people could want. It wont perform the more complicated measurements you wish to do but appart from that it works great.
Old 4th June 2004, 08:31 AM   #9
alexw88 is offline alexw88  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

I use OrCad for simulation, but you need some EE background to use it. There is a free student available.

I use speaker workshop and RMAA for measurement.

They are all free!

Hide this!Advertise here!