Was Bose right all along? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd June 2004, 02:33 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

"All highs And No Lows.... Its Got To Be Bose"
Old 2nd June 2004, 02:50 AM   #12
tcpip is offline tcpip  India
diyAudio Member

Navin,

You've commented about how Bose gets -ve flak from audio system lovers, but that flak was more for their sat-sub systems than their earlier ones (including 901s), I thought. I am not commenting about the 901s, but their claims about the sat-subs being an actual replacement for conventional speakers is big rubbish and they get a lot of flak for that. I've never heard the 901s myself.

Even in the 901 class, I'd suspect that thirty years of development in light-cone full range drivers will allow modern designers to beat the 901s easily. But even if they could, they may not want to try because, as sreten said, it might be much easier to get cleaner sound if you abandon those rear-firing arrays. In my mind, the 901s have always symbolised a kind of special effect, a gimmick, rather than a solution for serious music listeners, much like the boom-boom vibrating neck-bands which come with portable Walkmans these days and claim to give you the "effect" of deep bass. That neck band is as close to real deep bass as the 901 is to real concert-hall ambience, I'd guess. Why do you want to try it?
Old 2nd June 2004, 02:51 AM   #13
michael is offline michael  Australia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to michael
my mates dad used to hire out PA gear and for the top end had about 12 series 2 901s, then he used 8 EV 18" subs for the low,
anyway we hooked up just one pair on 901s in his room to a 250w PA amp and they shook the room they are very capable of massive SPL, but they shouted all the sound at you, not a very nice sound, but we setup 4 of them with 2 of the subs and kicked the crap out of his house, fooking loud, this is what i think these 901s were good at.
But SQ, even his accoustimass system sounded better.
after that i went home and listened to my tannoys with my diy sub.
not as loud, but hell it sounded far better.
Old 2nd June 2004, 02:51 AM   #14
tcpip is offline tcpip  India
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by highbias
"All highs And No Lows.... Its Got To Be Bose"
Quite. But that seems more applicable to the Acoustimass than to the 901s which Navin was referring to.
Old 2nd June 2004, 03:05 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Quite. But that seems more applicable to the Acoustimass than to the 901s which Navin was referring to
i agree, i dont think that a 40hz is low.... but how can you call 14khz high... what bose have you been listening to
Attached Images
File Type: jpg am15freqa.jpg (25.5 KB, 711 views)
Old 2nd June 2004, 03:07 AM   #16
Banned

Send a message via MSN to SkinnyBoy
Quote:
Originally posted by michael

i agree, i dont think that a 40hz is low.... but how can you call 14khz high... what bose have you been listening to

ahhh, beautiful... lol whats the website for that? I forgot it..

EDIT: the correct saying is "no highs, no lows, must be bose" lol
Old 2nd June 2004, 03:16 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

ive lost it, googling for it now.
here it is
Where was the subs crossover again....what was that... 202hz, oh and the cubes cut in at 280hz or so. lol

I think maybe we need a new slogan for them, perhaps.. 70hz to 7khz and no fuss inbetween
wait maybe.... less fuss for your dollar (fuss neing boso language for sound)
Old 2nd June 2004, 03:55 AM   #18
djQUAN is offline djQUAN  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to djQUAN Send a message via Yahoo to djQUAN
ah. the first time I saw a response graph for a bose system.
Old 2nd June 2004, 05:20 AM   #19
navin is offline navin  India
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to navin Send a message via Yahoo to navin
after spend many years building speakers that look like speakers i am trying to attempt to make my next speaker have the WAF of B&W VM1/FLS or KEF KHT (9xxx) / KIT etc. Not that it has to be a 3 pc system.

However one option is "good sounding" sats that are hung on the wall capable of 95db/2m/100Hz mated to a subs (2 or more) that can be more discrete. While I do feel that low freq can be noticeable I am hoping to dodge this by LP XOing at 24db/oct and LP XOing at 12db/oct or less and using multiple subs (2 or more). for this the FE107/FW108s seem the best bet for the sats and the each subs would be an 8"in a TL.

One of the best TL speakers I heard was a Fried 8" 2 way that looked like a pregnant lady. I forget the model.

The second option is to build a floor stander than has high WAF (sleek) having Vb < 25 liters for the bass topped with maybe a OB or sealed fullrange (FF85k is top choice at this point) and then use a single larger sub for HT. The floor stander would be capable of 95Hz/2m/50hz. the sub is not ciritcal at this stage.

BTW guys dont get too hot and bothered about my ideas. The apt we intend to house this system in has not been constructed yet :-).
Old 2nd June 2004, 08:12 AM   #20
beks is offline beks  Albania
diyAudio Member

Default "Bose I suppose"

I like this thread for Bose speakers... Really, Bose company need to change their mentality and idea for sound reproduction, there isn't still '70s or early '80s.

If you ask Bose about tech specs, they often reply with "do you listen tech specs or the 'sound'..." I would like to know - which sound you are talking about?!?! Those coloration of 'sound' which Bose speakers made..!? No, thanks, I don't like it... There are plenty of companies which they sell speakers...

I had chance to listen almost all speakers from Bose, and I think they sound same. Big impression which gives you 901, and those reflections - surround like, are not hi-fi and isn't detail rich comparing to many speakers which you pay less and they have a name, as well. Of course, even in devills house you'll find something which is ok, like 802 mk2 not mk3 version. Even though, less pay then 802 you'll find active PA speakers which sound better and have bi-amping of course.

I think all Bose speakers are made for soft jazz/blues music and music which is played in '40s and '50s, that's it!

Hide this!Advertise here!