scan-speak vs. focal

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In general the scanspeak produces more (lower) bass with a lower efficiency, say 83db/w/m in the bass region. The focal drivers are mostly optimized to be more efficient and have therefore less bass. The 8" Focal W is more a midbass than a dedicated bass driver, while the 8" scanspeaks are optimized for bass duty.

With both Focal and Scanspeak you can get enough bass, it is just a matter of taste about the subjective quality or the availibity of power. And more importantly it depends on the dimensions of your cabinet.

It is impossible to say which driver is better suited in your situation than the other. Or which driver YOU like better than the other....

More bass?

Scan speaks have a better bass extension than the same sized Focals, Focals bigger units are not sesmick in there bass but have never claimed to be, Scan speaks butyl surrounds give that extra low x max for just that extra depth your talking about, but anyway, for deep bass, i cant beat ATC, sorry to do that to you, Even my infrawoofers just dont get techtonic.

I don't know about that. I have the Focal 11K, and compared to the Scan 25W, it has a lot more impact and gut wrenching ability. The Focal easily goes deeper in the bass. The Scan can reach higher into the midrange, but that means nothing to me with the mids I'm using. But the Scan likes to be sealed, and the Focal 11K ported, and the quality of bass is about the same, but the Focal seems more alive. A buddy has just build sealed Scan 25W cabs, so I'll get to compare more directly.

you must be right.

I have not heard the bigger focals compaired to the scan speaks w25, i have only heard the smaller w18, there good for there size, almost the best in there size but i musdt be wrong, i would say, with the exception of some high end B&W drive units, i must admit to loving focal and hating them at the same time, I love the Grand Utopias, but i hate Focal in car, In Halfords no less! I think every driver has its own chracter and i try not to say one is better than another, Its like saying who is funnier, Its just depends on what you like, and thats ok.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.