active crossover the hard way - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th May 2004, 09:21 PM   #1
HenryK is offline HenryK  Finland
diyAudio Member

Default active crossover the hard way

Hi all!

I'm new here, greetings from the land of the Midnight Sun and 100 000 lakes (Finland). As far as audio & electronics are concerned, I'm just a hobbyist (and not a very advanced one) so I guess my input is likely to be somewhat neolithic for a while...

Now I've got these odd drivers (woofer + mid/tweeter x 2) I once inherited from someone who was going to throw them away. I've been carrying them with me for more than 10 years literally across the world (we used to live in Japan back then) and I feel it would be a shame not to use them one day since you can tell they are of decent make. Pioneer but officially discontinued so the big P does not support this old line in any way. Nothing useful on the net either. My idea was to go active with these babies just to see how it works out - not an easy task though since I have no specs at all. My only clue here is a single original passive XO.

Question: is there any practical way of figuring out where the original XO point was (no matter how roughly) somehow measuring the passive crossover...? That alone would be a start. I've done some rudimentary listening tests comparing sounds produced by the passive XO setup with sounds created by a variety of electronic filter networks. The results were totally confusing. This can't be the best way to do this.

I don't have any fancy measuring equipment even though I could probably make a simple frequency meter etc. if need be and have it calibrated at the nearby uni.

Can anyone help?

Regards

Henry

Hide this!Advertise here!