Anyone ever use mcm's 55-1200? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th May 2002, 07:51 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Red face Anyone ever use mcm's 55-1200?

I'd like to know if there's anyone out there who has used mcm's 4.5"poly treated paper cone woofer(55-1200)in one of there designs?
Old 27th March 2014, 02:23 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default I have used them in projects

Boy, this may be one of the most belated replies ever! As such, I'm not sure how relevant my answer will be.

This mid/woofer was once sold by MCM Electronics in the US, and CPC Electronics in the UK (related companies). I think it has been discontinued for several years now, but if memory serves me correctly, it was sourced in Taiwan, so unless it was designed and manufactured exclusively for MCM, there's a slight chance it may still be in production.

My project was a small acoustic suspension bookshelf speaker using this woofer and a titanium tweeter. I built a first order crossover with crossover points an octave apart so as not to experience too much overlap of frequencies by each speaker. The speakers (which I still use regularly) sound really good. The bass extension is limited, but paired with a matching sub-woofer they sound incredible. In my case I have a powered DIY sub using the high Xmax Shiva from the now defunct Adire Audio. This combination blows away all other speakers I have used to date (to numerous to list, but most of them budget to mid-fi 'best buys' from mainstream manufacturers). They can also be driven easily by a low powered amp due to their high efficiency.

Hope this is helpful to you and/or others within the forum.

Hide this!Advertise here!