DD8 Driver ideas - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th May 2004, 05:25 AM   #1
r0lf- is offline r0lf-  United States
diyAudio Member

Default DD8 Driver ideas

http://home.hetnet.nl/~geenius/DD8.html

So, this will be my second DIY experiment. I have made a nice little sub and ported it tuned to 25hz. Its pretty nice. Resonates a bit, but im learning as I go. Its a great experience.

So im looking at the drivers in the DD8 and my question is where in the US do I order those drivers or what other drivers would be acceptable.

Im using the speakers for HT fronts since they will be occupying a smaller room. Im trying to fill the gap from the sub to the other speakers and the ones I got now just arent doing anything for me (Sonys ) You guys think I should use the cabinet design and use my own selection of drivers and design the crossover accordingly.

I hear everyone likes partsexpress. My budget is relatively small (200 US), but im building them as funds are availible. (I wont buy drivers until the cabinet is done, etc.)
Old 29th May 2004, 11:06 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I would not change any of the drivers. I have heard the DD8 mk2 and it is a well balanced design. Tony has designed an excellent filter for this speaker which is not easy if you have never done this before.

Madisound sells Seas drivers for a reasonable price.

Again: my advice is not to change the drivers. This speaker is a top-design just as it is!

Good luck!
Old 29th May 2004, 02:05 PM   #3
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

It is a nice cabinet design.

On a budget I suggest you fit this design :

http://www.speakerbuilder.net/web_fi...k/pcrkmain.htm

It fits your budget perfectly.

sreten.
Old 29th May 2004, 06:17 PM   #4
r0lf- is offline r0lf-  United States
diyAudio Member

wow. that design is pretty good. Im a little scared of the Xover, thats the only thing thats a little intimidating to me about any speaker. I will build the cabinet and everything though, No premade kits for me. Building em is half the fun.
Old 29th May 2004, 08:04 PM   #5
DeanP is offline DeanP  Canada
diyAudio Member

I'm planning on building the DD8 mk2 but in the 24L version for bass extension. I priced out all the parts and the "midi" x-over version is only $400CAN, so I imagine that in US dollars it is about 30% cheaper...

I was going to build the infamous M8a, but the price of the x-over is $365CAN alone for the pair...

Hide this!Advertise here!