DD8 Driver ideas

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
http://home.hetnet.nl/~geenius/DD8.html

So, this will be my second DIY experiment. I have made a nice little sub and ported it tuned to 25hz. Its pretty nice. Resonates a bit, but im learning as I go. Its a great experience.

So im looking at the drivers in the DD8 and my question is where in the US do I order those drivers or what other drivers would be acceptable.

Im using the speakers for HT fronts since they will be occupying a smaller room. Im trying to fill the gap from the sub to the other speakers and the ones I got now just arent doing anything for me (Sonys :( ) You guys think I should use the cabinet design and use my own selection of drivers and design the crossover accordingly.

I hear everyone likes partsexpress. My budget is relatively small (200 US), but im building them as funds are availible. (I wont buy drivers until the cabinet is done, etc.)

I would not change any of the drivers. I have heard the DD8 mk2 and it is a well balanced design. Tony has designed an excellent filter for this speaker which is not easy if you have never done this before.

Madisound sells Seas drivers for a reasonable price.

Again: my advice is not to change the drivers. This speaker is a top-design just as it is!

Good luck!

I'm planning on building the DD8 mk2 but in the 24L version for bass extension. I priced out all the parts and the "midi" x-over version is only $400CAN, so I imagine that in US dollars it is about 30% cheaper...

I was going to build the infamous M8a, but the price of the x-over is $365CAN alone for the pair...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.