[tweeter] SS 97k vs Excel T25CF001 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th May 2004, 08:31 PM   #1
4real is offline 4real  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default [tweeter] SS 97k vs Excel T25CF001

Well, this is my first post here, so I hope It all goes all right :xeye:

First of all, let me explain my situation:

I've got twoo great DIY speakers already. They are the first ones I've made and they turned out to be very fine. They are a 2.5-way system with 2x Visaton AL 170 and 1x Visaton G25FFL.

Click the image to open in full size.
[ red is nice ;) ]

http://fww.nu/speaker/Fullrange_na_modi.gif
[ frequency response, click (otherwise ***-up layout) :cannotbe: ]

I also hava a nice 54 Liter closed Shiva Subwoofer with Detonation DT-300 :hot:

The rest of my "HT" is composed of a remains of an old Eltax 5.1 set: Center (D'appolito) and rear (2-way sats). Well, now I want to get rid of them. First the center, than the rears.

To match with the front's I want to use the Visaton AL 170. I'm planing to make a 2-way speaker. 10 Liter closed, of 18 Liter Bassreflex.

No the thing is that I want to replace the tweeters of the front's with something better, and also use that one in the new center. But I don't know which one to choose. I want to cross as low as possible to avoid problems with the alu-resonances. Somewhere arround 2 Khz seems good. Right now, I cross much higher and the current tweeter justs "fits" in... So I need something that has a low fs. Furthermore I want to have great detail and dynamics.

I've narrowed my search down to two tweeters:
- Scan Speak 9700 (shielded version)
- Seas Excel T25CF001 (is shielded already)

Since I found little information here about the Excel and lots about the SS 9700, I'm wondering which would be the best choice? How do they compare. Of cource it is subjective but I still would like to know your oppinion. I also looked at some ribbon's, but the ones I found cannot be crossed arround 2 Khz (at least in my price range and size (to replace the old tweeters)). I want to spend about 100 euro's/tweeter.

A long story, but at least it makes things clear (I hope...). Anyway, thanks already :angel::whazzat:
Old 28th May 2004, 03:38 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I think the 9700 (even bare) is out of your budget, then. The T25CF001 is within your budget.

http://www.linkwitzlab.com/x-mid_dist.htm

Quote:
The measurements confirmed my preference, based on extensive listening, for the D2905/9700 as the more accurate tweeter than the SS metal dome. For any new design I would seriously consider the Seas T25CF002-06 tweeter, though I am not sure how directly the small improvements in measurement data translate into audible benefits.
CeramicMan doesn't approve of Linkwitz' measurement method, but I thought I'd just toss that in.
Old 28th May 2004, 08:33 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Well, I my case, the 9700 is in fact in my budget (114 euro's).

I saw the article at Linkiwitzlab, but that is about the 002 (which is way to expensive) and not about the 001. That's my problem. There not a lot to be found about the 001...
Old 28th May 2004, 10:47 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

The 9700 is mybe the best tweeter ever made, (- in the right combo) Seas does good midranges but so far they`re tweeters are too harsh
Old 28th May 2004, 11:34 AM   #5
Mats J is offline Mats J  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
... Seas does good midranges but so far they`re tweeters are too harsh
Interesting, in that in my experience, the SEAS excel tweeters, if anything fault on the dark side.
Old 28th May 2004, 06:35 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Used the Seas also, and never heard a smoother tweeter. I.m.h.o. one of the best drivers. And for the money.....
For a nice speaker with this tweeter look at:

http://home.hetnet.nl/~geenius/

look for the Proteus or mezzo proteus,

http://members.home.nl/deckersmoll/

also the proteus.

Regards,

Jan
Old 28th May 2004, 07:47 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I've got the Seas 001 in a set of 2-way's with Seas w17 midbasses. I would definitely not classify them as being harsh. They are the smoothest tweeters I have heard in any of my speakers (i'm only 22). Granted, most of my other's are aluminum domes from mb quart and focal, so the textile dome is much more laid back compared to those. I've been very happen with it though, and can crank it pretty loud without any sign of straining.

I've got it crossed second order electrical around 2.2 kHz. I did consider the 002's, but the price was just a bit out of my range!

Can't comment on the 9700, but wish I could.
Old 28th May 2004, 08:13 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

@Jan Deckers: I'm not looking at new speakers, just want to use the AL 170 with a new tweeter. The links I knew already. Great speaker on those sites though

Can anyone comment on de 001 vs 9700, someone that heard them both and can comment on the differences.

I'm realy looking for the best fit in my case. Sure, they are both great tweeters, but which one will fit best with the AL 170?
Old 28th May 2004, 08:15 PM   #9
gary f is offline gary f  Canada
diyAudio Member

My next advice is based only on the published parameters, I haven't heard these tweeters:

If you want to cross over low, I would suggest the 9700 because resonant frequency is lower (500 vs 750 Hz) and more important, linear excursion is almost twice (+- 0.4mm vs +-0.25mm) So at loud levels, the 9700 should stay clearer and/or you will need less components in the crossover to keep it clear.

I have the SS9300 right now and the sound is great. The 9700 seems like a very very good tweeter (but too expensive for me right now...). The shielded version has even better published frequency response than the unshielded version.

F

PS- I know that some people find it OK and will disagree, but I'm personnally allergic to tweeter distorsion at low frewquencies and would not consider to cross a 0.25mm excursion tweeter below 2200-2500 Hz...
Old 28th May 2004, 08:23 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Test Pilot
The 9700 is mybe the best tweeter ever made, (- in the right combo) Seas does good midranges but so far they`re tweeters are too harsh
http://seas.no/excel_line/excel/E%20011.PDF

Compare the frequency response of the T25CF002 to that of the 9700, below:

http://www.d-s-t.com/scs/data/freq_d2905_970000.gif

The 9700 has a rising high-end response, whereas the Millenium stays relatively flat.

Oh, and the best tweeter ever made would probably be either the plasma tweeter by Acapella, or possibly this one.
http://www.studioerosbarone.it/diego/Plasma2eng.htm

Hide this!Advertise here!