[tweeter] SS 97k vs Excel T25CF001

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, this is my first post here, so I hope It all goes all right :xeye:

First of all, let me explain my situation:

I've got twoo great DIY speakers already. They are the first ones I've made and they turned out to be very fine. They are a 2.5-way system with 2x Visaton AL 170 and 1x Visaton G25FFL.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

[ red is nice ;) ]

http://fww.nu/speaker/Fullrange_na_modi.gif
[ frequency response, click (otherwise ***-up layout) :cannotbe: ]

I also hava a nice 54 Liter closed Shiva Subwoofer with Detonation DT-300 :hot:

The rest of my "HT" is composed of a remains of an old Eltax 5.1 set: Center (D'appolito) and rear (2-way sats). Well, now I want to get rid of them. First the center, than the rears.

To match with the front's I want to use the Visaton AL 170. I'm planing to make a 2-way speaker. 10 Liter closed, of 18 Liter Bassreflex.

No the thing is that I want to replace the tweeters of the front's with something better, and also use that one in the new center. But I don't know which one to choose. I want to cross as low as possible to avoid problems with the alu-resonances. Somewhere arround 2 Khz seems good. Right now, I cross much higher and the current tweeter justs "fits" in... So I need something that has a low fs. Furthermore I want to have great detail and dynamics.

I've narrowed my search down to two tweeters:
- Scan Speak 9700 (shielded version)
- Seas Excel T25CF001 (is shielded already)

Since I found little information here about the Excel and lots about the SS 9700, I'm wondering which would be the best choice? How do they compare. Of cource it is subjective but I still would like to know your oppinion. I also looked at some ribbon's, but the ones I found cannot be crossed arround 2 Khz (at least in my price range and size (to replace the old tweeters)). I want to spend about 100 euro's/tweeter.

A long story, but at least it makes things clear (I hope...). Anyway, thanks already :angel::whazzat:

I think the 9700 (even bare) is out of your budget, then. The T25CF001 is within your budget.

http://www.linkwitzlab.com/x-mid_dist.htm

The measurements confirmed my preference, based on extensive listening, for the D2905/9700 as the more accurate tweeter than the SS metal dome. For any new design I would seriously consider the Seas T25CF002-06 tweeter, though I am not sure how directly the small improvements in measurement data translate into audible benefits.

CeramicMan doesn't approve of Linkwitz' measurement method, but I thought I'd just toss that in.

I've got the Seas 001 in a set of 2-way's with Seas w17 midbasses. I would definitely not classify them as being harsh. They are the smoothest tweeters I have heard in any of my speakers (i'm only 22). Granted, most of my other's are aluminum domes from mb quart and focal, so the textile dome is much more laid back compared to those. I've been very happen with it though, and can crank it pretty loud without any sign of straining.

I've got it crossed second order electrical around 2.2 kHz. I did consider the 002's, but the price was just a bit out of my range!

Can't comment on the 9700, but wish I could. :)

@Jan Deckers: I'm not looking at new speakers, just want to use the AL 170 with a new tweeter. The links I knew already. Great speaker on those sites though :)

Can anyone comment on de 001 vs 9700, someone that heard them both and can comment on the differences.

I'm realy looking for the best fit in my case. Sure, they are both great tweeters, but which one will fit best with the AL 170?

My next advice is based only on the published parameters, I haven't heard these tweeters:

If you want to cross over low, I would suggest the 9700 because resonant frequency is lower (500 vs 750 Hz) and more important, linear excursion is almost twice (+- 0.4mm vs +-0.25mm) So at loud levels, the 9700 should stay clearer and/or you will need less components in the crossover to keep it clear.

I have the SS9300 right now and the sound is great. The 9700 seems like a very very good tweeter (but too expensive for me right now...). The shielded version has even better published frequency response than the unshielded version.

F

PS- I know that some people find it OK and will disagree, but I'm personnally allergic to tweeter distorsion at low frewquencies and would not consider to cross a 0.25mm excursion tweeter below 2200-2500 Hz...

Test Pilot said:
The 9700 is mybe the best tweeter ever made, (- in the right combo) Seas does good midranges but so far they`re tweeters are too harsh:whazzat:
http://seas.no/excel_line/excel/E 011.PDF

Compare the frequency response of the T25CF002 to that of the 9700, below:

http://www.d-s-t.com/scs/data/freq_d2905_970000.gif

The 9700 has a rising high-end response, whereas the Millenium stays relatively flat.

Oh, and the best tweeter ever made would probably be either the plasma tweeter by Acapella, or possibly this one.
http://www.studioerosbarone.it/diego/Plasma2eng.htm

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Here an overlay of both tweeters (hacked it a bit, but should be fairly acurate). The upper is the 9700, below is the 001. The small rise in frequency is minimal ( 2K to 20 K within about 3 dB). Well, the higher excursion is indeed better for crossing low, and also the lower fs. Also the response is more flat in general. Off axis, the 9700 looks a little better too.

Well, I think the 9700 is better value for money, but what about distortion? Again, you keep talking about the 002, but I'm only interested in the 001... I'm my oppinion, that is a whole other story, espasialy lokking at the pice differences between the 001 and 002.

The plasma tweeter looks cool too, but I don't intend to build my own tweeter (yet) :D

The rising response of the 97 is not something to worry about, it sounds great. It is comparable to the 002 (from what I have heard, ive only listened/used the 97) and will win over the 001 with no probs.

I dunno how the scan & seas tweets are set appart, but if the 001 is a similar product to the 93, then the 002 and 97 are their bigger brothers. Well then 97 will easily win over the 001.

Another thing to consider however is the visaton midbass, is the 97 really worth it? I dont know what the quality of these units are but id only recommend the 97 to people with top quality mid/bass or mid unit. Drive units aside you also need excellent partnering equipment. If you are using a $1000 HT or a $600 amp then dont bother upgrading the tweeter you wont realise the full potential.

Well, the midbass is Visaton's top-of-the-line unit. It's not very cheap (about 100 euro's), and performs very well. I don't know what could be wrong with it...

Well, at the moment, my amp is not that great, but not that bad either: Marantz SR-5200. It's quite good in stereo mode. But that's going to change anyway, in time... At the end of the year, I'm planing on building a brand new DIY amp, so that schould be no problem. The full potential can wait a bit, I guess. My CD-player is also not bad: Marantz CD-5400. Supreme price/performance and great sound (I need a better amp for that one also ;) ).

Ow, sure the I chould get the 002 for $155, bu by the time I have it in The Netherlands, I'va had to lay at least an extra $30 for shipping an taxes on the table. That is just to much for me, I'm just a poort student ;) . And looking at the 9700 from that same website: that one costs $ 179, so 114 euro's for seems to be a way better deal :)

@mod: when can I submit without first being moderated, It's very slow sometimes (not that I blame the mod, but it can be irritating)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.