line array "bug"?? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th May 2004, 03:34 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Chris8sirhC
Default line array "bug"??

I just recently noticed that in my open baffle line array, some of the drivers are putting out much more sound than others. On the bottom 8 (of 16) they get sequentially less powerfull as you go up, and the top one (of the bottom 8) must be producing half the output that the bottom one does. Does anybody have a clue what could be going on here?
Old 27th May 2004, 03:42 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

How are they wired?
Old 27th May 2004, 04:38 AM   #3
tool49 is offline tool49  Canada
diyAudio Member

If they are wired in series and the impedance curve is not identical from driver to driver, some might be louder than others. That is just my guess. As to why it goes in a certain order of decay, that baffles me (no pun intended) a bit. In parrallel, I see no reason other than they might have slightly different sensitivity. But the again where would the order in decay come from?

Hope this will help in further diagnosis of the problem.
Sébastien
Old 27th May 2004, 05:05 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

well this is a throw in the water, but if their wired in series than the resistance will continue to get bigger as it goes up....but that makes no sense....sorry

Maybe gravity is pulling more and more electrons as it goes up
Old 27th May 2004, 07:20 AM   #5
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Hybrid fourdoor
Maybe gravity is pulling more and more electrons as it goes up
Quote:
"As everybody knows high power amplifiers use larger electrons to achieve this high power. The bigger electrons don't start or stop as fast as normal electrons resulting in much heavier, less nimble Watts. So high power amplifiers can never have the finesse of low power amplifiers. High sensitivity speakers only work with the smaller electrons (the smallest are produced by tube amplifiers). Thus if you use a high power amplifier with sensitive speakers you need a transformer that slims down the electrons and makes them swifter. Such transformers are available from Jenny Craig Audio Inc., Phen-Fenophile Corp. and the US Nuclear Agency."

Alan Ross

PS. Don't forget to elevate the amplifiers above the speakers, so the signal can flow easier.
Old 27th May 2004, 08:48 AM   #6
navin is offline navin  India
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to navin Send a message via Yahoo to navin
dave,

this is really quite simple. if you have larger electrons you need larger dia. wire. and in any case large electrons are produce bass and small electrons produce treble. just ask monster cable.
Old 27th May 2004, 08:55 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Chris,

there's not much we can do to help other than suggest you will have some trouble shooting to do, it's either

- the drivers are different
- the wiring
- something else in the signal path between the amp and drivers that you haven't mentioned

You will have to go through the signal chain and by a trial and error process of elimination. Compare the individual drivers that are different, change the wiring, put them all in series, etc.
Old 27th May 2004, 03:57 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

How do you know that the outputs are different? Did you judge my cone motion or did you hear it only?

You didn't mention the top 8. How do they do?
Old 27th May 2004, 05:51 PM   #9
JohnG is offline JohnG  United States
diyAudio Member

Just a thought, if there is not a wiring issue:

If the bottom driver is near the floor, it is radiating into half-space, so you will get twice the SPL if you put your ear near it than a driver farther from the floor, at least at lower frequencies.

John

Hide this!Advertise here!