line array "bug"??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just recently noticed that in my open baffle line array, some of the drivers are putting out much more sound than others. On the bottom 8 (of 16) they get sequentially less powerfull as you go up, and the top one (of the bottom 8) must be producing half the output that the bottom one does. Does anybody have a clue what could be going on here?

If they are wired in series and the impedance curve is not identical from driver to driver, some might be louder than others. That is just my guess. As to why it goes in a certain order of decay, that baffles me (no pun intended) a bit. In parrallel, I see no reason other than they might have slightly different sensitivity. But the again where would the order in decay come from?

Hope this will help in further diagnosis of the problem.
Sébastien

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Hybrid fourdoor said:
Maybe gravity is pulling more and more electrons as it goes up :smash:

"As everybody knows high power amplifiers use larger electrons to achieve this high power. The bigger electrons don't start or stop as fast as normal electrons resulting in much heavier, less nimble Watts. So high power amplifiers can never have the finesse of low power amplifiers. High sensitivity speakers only work with the smaller electrons (the smallest are produced by tube amplifiers). Thus if you use a high power amplifier with sensitive speakers you need a transformer that slims down the electrons and makes them swifter. Such transformers are available from Jenny Craig Audio Inc., Phen-Fenophile Corp. and the US Nuclear Agency."

Alan Ross

PS. Don't forget to elevate the amplifiers above the speakers, so the signal can flow easier.

Chris,

there's not much we can do to help other than suggest you will have some trouble shooting to do, it's either

- the drivers are different
- the wiring
- something else in the signal path between the amp and drivers that you haven't mentioned

You will have to go through the signal chain and by a trial and error process of elimination. Compare the individual drivers that are different, change the wiring, put them all in series, etc.

Just a thought, if there is not a wiring issue:

If the bottom driver is near the floor, it is radiating into half-space, so you will get twice the SPL if you put your ear near it than a driver farther from the floor, at least at lower frequencies.

John

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.