Looking for a "thin" center speaker design - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th May 2004, 02:32 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to johninCR Send a message via MSN to johninCR Send a message via Yahoo to johninCR
I like the big sound of arrays and you get the advantage of fully DIY instead of a kit. If you are on a tight budget then it's definitely the way to go because you can use very cheap drivers. For the center channel I'd go with 6 four or five inch shielded wide range drivers and a super tweeter in the middle. Then wire them in a bessel arrangement so you get dispersion as if it's a single speaker not an array. If at all possible, run it open baffle and end up with a great center channel for well under $100.
Old 27th May 2004, 02:46 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

While I would like to do a FULL DIY, I think for my first entry into the hobby I will stick with a kit (but build the cabinets myself).

I am not so much on a tight budget, but want to keep the first project lower cost. Always felt that you should crawl before you walk with most things.

Notice I am always referring to first project, I fully intend to build many more speakers of vary types.

From what I read on the spires and the TB drivers I think these may be a good fit for my project. Maybe ordering the parts within a week.

I appreciate the great suggestions. I may try johninCR array setup for the center speaker once I get a little experience tweaking speakers.
Old 27th May 2004, 06:21 PM   #13
Greg B is offline Greg B  United States
diyAudio Member

I can understand not wanting to do 'FULL DIY' for your first project. Makes good sense really.

Going with the FE107 center and FE167 L/R wouldn't be any harder than a kit though. The drivers come with plans for simple bass reflex boxes. There's no crossover to worry about, just hook 'em up.

The center channel could be adjusted to any dimensions you want (with reason), as long as you keep the internal volume and vent dimensions/tuning the same.

The spires look pretty good. I know the ELF was well regarded. I prefer fostex to tangband myself, but that's just me. Both are good drivers.

GB
Old 28th May 2004, 05:07 AM   #14
LouC is offline LouC  United States
diyAudio Member

Default This might work

I just finished one with the Seas H653 coax. Now that I've done a few movies, I'm quite happy with it. The driver is 6 3/4" so you might be able to squeeze it into the space.
http://www.lonesaguaro.com/speakers/coax/Coax.htm
Old 28th May 2004, 06:02 AM   #15
navin is offline navin  India
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to navin Send a message via Yahoo to navin
Quote:
Originally posted by Greg B
Going with the FE107 center and FE167 L/R wouldn't be any harder than a kit though. The drivers come with plans for simple bass reflex boxes. There's no crossover to worry about, just hook 'em up. prefer fostex to tangband myself
GB
Given a choice i'd use fostex too. in fact for center i'd use 3 107s in a config shown below....
http://www.vandersteen.com/pages/Pdffiles/RefReview.pdf

http://www.vandersteen.com/pages/VCC-5lit.html

for the rear either 1 or 2 107s depending on room and speker size and for the mains 167s.

No XO required.

trouble is with a system this good you might never feel to build anything else again :-)
Old 28th May 2004, 01:02 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

navin - while I greatly appreciate your confidents in my woodworking skills, I think that center speaker is a bit beyond me at this point. I am very much a novice when it comes to working with wood. Read alot about it, enough to know that those non-90 degree joints are a bit harder to accomplish correctly.

I do appreciate everyones input it has been very helpful, I hope I do not upset too many people by going with the Elf Spires . Not that I think the Fostex are not as good, if not better (I would not know). I did check out the Fostex and the site had the basic cabinet designs, even one for a center using 3 FE107 without all the bends .
Old 29th May 2004, 04:55 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

can you post that link (fostex).
Old 29th May 2004, 11:14 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Sorry should have posted that link before.

Here is a link to an enclosure using 3 FE107

http://www.fostexinternational.com/d.../107e_encl.pdf
Old 30th May 2004, 07:05 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

i have seen this. i prefer vandersteen's method. it filters out the hf acoustically. and looks cleaner (u see only 1 driver).

Hide this!Advertise here!