Single Ended Triode (SET) amp friendly design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Id like to make a Single ended system to find out what all of the hub-bub is all about. I'm looking for a speaker design to build that would work well with a SET amp.

I'd really like to see a speaker that was designed with a particular "inexpensive" SET DIY amp in mind, possibly a bottlehead or Zen. A "working man's" SET system.

My goals would be:

- Very high sensitivity with steady impedance curve (for SET compatibility) Most designs I have found have been pretty low sensitivity.
- Inexpensive speaker and crossover components Maybe even a single driver/horn system would work. (well, not bottom of the barrel, but no top of the line silver/oil caps and high-end focal drivers) Im thinking something reasonable in price, but well regarded like Vifa and Solen...
- Not transmission line (There is too much time/skill involved to build an Ariel).
- A mature design...

I like the idea of an "open-source" design where many people add to it, improving it as they go.

Are there any designs that fit my description that stand out as excellent?

Has anyone seen any speaker-amp projects like this? If there isn't a project like this already, maybe someone would be interested in starting it? Some sort of speaker that is matched to a particular diy amp, hiding or compensating for the amp's shortcomings and displaying the amp's best features.

Fostex fullrange speakers is SET suited on a budget. Check out geenius' "Solo" speakers at http://home.hetnet.nl/~geenius/

The 206 is a bit tricky to build, as it uses back-loaded horn.. The 103 however would make for a cheap and simple tiny bookshelf speaker with great sound and no bass.

EDIT: Madisound stocks fostex drivers, and also have loads of cabinet plans.. LSDG has some opinions on some of the drivers HERE

As a bonus with fullrange, you will need no XO!

Remember that the larger driver you use, the higher sensitivity you get, and the less watt you will need from your SET. If you want to learn more about sensitivity versus required watts, cheack out THIS page, and read about it at the middle of the page.. "Some Insight into Proper Speaker Selection"...

If you fall in love with fullrange speakers, you can always go to extremes such as Lowther, AER, or REPS at a later point ;) but Fostex should be the perfect entry level drivers.

How about an open baffle line array. You can use super cheap or relatively cheap wide range drivers. Sensitivity well over 100db is simple to acheive. Add super tweeter with a simple cap to fill in the top end and throw in a dipole friendly woofer or 2 to fill in the bottom with a first order roll off.

No phase problems or complex xovers to degrade the sound.

The wide range drivers can run full range because each does very little work and you can wire it in many ways to get the impedance you want.

Impressive to look at especially when you point out that the little glowing tube thingy is driving it all.

Easy to build and create your own unique design.

Amazingly big, natural, dynamic sound.

Here's an example of one built for incredible near field listening:
http://www.geocities.com/dmitrynizh/labaffles.htm

Use a straight baffle for non-nearfield listening. Maybe even take Dmitri's component idea a step further and make the baffle adjustable, so you could use it in a concave arrangement when it's just you in your favorite chair and change it to a flat baffle for other listening (hey I think I'm going to try that as my next project).

OR

Staying with the simple approach of the Single ended system, just buy a pair of Supravox Signature 215's and put them each on a piece of plywood at first while you come up with your own beautiful baffle.

Mid 90's sensitivity

Great Sound from everything I've read including Planet 10's review. I think it's just too simple a project for him to use himself.

Single driver, so no xover (true minimalist approach).

There's no simpler build.

If you don't like them and will pay for shipping to Miami, then I'll buy them from, so you'll only be out 2 shippings. That won't happen anyway, but I'd love to get a pair without the manufacturers invoice which would kill me on import duties.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.