Help me get started

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've heard my first speaker system with active crossovers. Wow what a difference. Found this web site while trying to find information on active crossovers. Can someone help me get started?

I'm considering fabrication of eight non-inverting gaine clones using LM3886 (68watt each) for two main speakers (3 way) and center channel (2 way).

I need assistance on how best to power them. Is it best to have one power supply for all three speakers or each speaker having it's own power supply. I was thinking torroidal transformer. What Va, what V+ - 0 - V-, what diodes/ or rectifiers, what capacitors. If I were to use one large power supply, how big large will this enclosure be, how best to connect to the three speakers? I found a schematic but not found component numbers.

Where can I find active crossover calculators?

Thanks in advance, Phil

How to power the amps and build them probably belongs in another forum

mrlots2do said:

Where can I find active crossover calculators?

I haven't seen such an animal - although I have for passive.

peruse the entire site at

http://www.lenardaudio.com/education/06_x-over.html which is one of the better generic educational sites.

Search diyaudio for _active crossover_ and _behringer DCX2496_ and that ought to get you well on your way.

As to power supply, there is no definitive right or wrong - however, as an individual that normally prefers tube monoblocks with seperate power supplies for each channel - I lean toward a power supply for each band - subs, mids, highs - or one for each channel.

While it's not DIY, assuming you're planning on doing rears also _grin_, before I would go to the hassle of building so much, I would buy a couple of panasonic XR70's and use them. That would give you eight channels for the front and two for the rears. And for about $600 US.

While I never cease to be amazed at what some folks can do for very little money - it is very hard for me to imagine building ten channels with parts and chassis for less than $600.

In addition, the Panny's are establishing a reputation for being killer for the money.

one other site you might want to look at

http://www.newformresearch.com

Click on expert advice - click on digital - then digital systems overview.

For $60.00 a channel - it's something to consider -

Unless of course you enjoy building it from scratch more than you do listening. _grin_

Food for thought

Regards

Ken L

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.