SPL function of speed or acceleration

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks Dan,

I wonder, I saw the parthenon driver used as a dipole driver. How come the front pressure wave and rear pressure wave don't cancel each other?

F

Attachments

• totalparthenonside.jpg
    totalparthenonside.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 700
gary f said:
Hello Mathematicians out there.

Is Sound Pressure Level generated by a transducer proportional to speed of the cone or acceleration of the cone.

F

If mounted in a box it is proportional to the acceleration.

The pressure from a point source is:

p=(U*rho0*w)/(4*pi*r)

where U is the volume flow (m3/s), rho0 is the density of air (=1.2 m3/s), w is the angular frequency (rad/s), r is the distance. Free field conditions are assumed. For low frequencies, a loudspeaker can be approcimated by a point source, and volume flow U is:

U=Sd*v

where Sd is the equivalent piston area of the speaker, and v is the velocity of the cone.

So p is oproportional to w*v which in turn is equal to the acceleration (with a 90 degree phase shift).

gary f said:
Thanks Dan,

I wonder, I saw the parthenon driver used as a dipole driver. How come the front pressure wave and rear pressure wave don't cancel each other?

F
They do cancel, as a dipole speaker should. With a baffle width of 24", it will start cancellation around 280 Hz, and roll off at 6 dB/octave below that. Of course, with so much displacement to start with, you can still do 110+ dB @ 20 Hz...

The concept was not only to make the wildest looking driver you've ever seen, but one with so much potential output that it's kind of a "so what" in terms of loss. There's so much to start with, you don't NEED a box.

Dan Wiggins
Adire Audio

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
gary f said:
Hello Mathematicians out there.

Is Sound Pressure Level generated by a transducer proportional to speed of the cone or acceleration of the cone.

F
OK, here we go.

Sound pressure is proportional to the cone velocity.

Two examples, one real and one conceptual.

1.) A jet plane has broken the sound barrier and is now traveling at a constant speed of mach 1.X. The "sonic boom" is a sonic pressure wave created by the plane traveling at a contasnt velocity. The planes acceleration is zero.

2.) A speaker cone is driven by a triangle wave signal and the cone follows the signal perfectly. The cone moves at a constant velocity and changes direction instantaneously at the ends of its travel. Sound pressure will be generated by the movement of the cone and the SPL will be proportional to the cones velocity. If the SPL were proportional to the acceleration, the SPL would be infinite.

JMB said:
Based on your equations, it appears, then, that a more efficient or louder speaker of equal Sd would have a better transient response. Is this correct?

A very fallacious assumption.

A bit like amplifier slew rate requirements - which is faster :

a) a 10W 10V/us amplifier or
b) a 100W 20V/us amplifier ?

some would say b) by definition, but IMO its a).

:) sreten.

Re: Re: SPL function of speed or acceleration

roddyama said:

OK, here we go.

Indeed...
:)

roddyama said:

2.) A speaker cone is driven by a triangle wave signal and the cone follows the signal perfectly. The cone moves at a constant velocity and changes direction instantaneously at the ends of its travel. Sound pressure will be generated by the movement of the cone and the SPL will be proportional to the cones velocity. If the SPL were proportional to the acceleration, the SPL would be infinite.

What makes you think this? Are you saying that when fed with a square wave, the cone moves instataneously to the end position and stays there?
In its main frequency region a speaker cone is mass controlled, and the movement is controlled by a force, largely proportional to the driving voltage (a bit simplified, really the current). So F=ma tells us that the cone acceleration is proportional to the driving force, and since sound pressure is proportional to the driving voltage, it is also proportional to the acceleration, not the velocity.

It might be that this does not hold for the supersonic case, but I don't mind that. ;)

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Re: Re: Re: SPL function of speed or acceleration

roddyama said:

Two examples, one real and one conceptual.
Svante said:

What makes you think this?
"...one conceptual.":)

The question isn't about the mechanics of the speaker but what is the parameter responsible for SPL. SPL is proportional to the peak velocity of the cone.

Certianly I understand it has to be accelerated to this velocity. I was trying to show that SPL is independant of acceleration. If you wish, you can reduce the acceleration in my scenerio above until you reach an acceptable level of acceleration. It will not matter how you change the acceleration as long as the cone reaches the same peak velocity, the SPL will be the same.

Re: Re: Re: Re: SPL function of speed or acceleration

roddyama said:

The question isn't about the mechanics of the speaker but what is the parameter responsible for SPL. SPL is proportional to the peak velocity of the cone.
No. Drivers are real, physical mechanicms, and have to follow the laws of physics. Show me a driver whose motion wrt time traces out a triangular wave, and I'll reconsider. Acceleration in your hypothetical example isn't infinite, because real drivers have real mass and real forces driving them. But, if a driver actually could reproduce a triangular wave, then it would have an infinite amount of high frequency content, and thus the SPL would be inifinite (proportional to acceleration).

Besides, as Svante pointed out, a triangular wave signal (voltage source) does not correspond to your triangular wave driver motion. You must go through the F=ma translation of force to motion.

According to JE Benson, who was Richard Small's (of Thiele/Small renown) PHD thesis advisor, in his book "Theory and Design of Loudspeaker Enclosures":

p(s) = eg(s)*rho*Sd*ad(s)/(4*pi*r)

p(s) is pressure
eg(s) is generator voltage
ad(s) is diaphragm acceleration
r is distance from the speaker
rho is air density
Sd is diaphragm area

SPL = 20*log10(p(s)/pref)

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Sound pressure is the adiabatic particle displacment in an elastic medium (in this case air). This is the case regardless if the particle displacement is periodic or not and regardless of what is creating the particle displacement. It is the movement of the cone that causes the particle displacement regardless of what causes the cones motion.

The magnitue of the particle displacement is the instantaneous SPL at a point and is directly proportional the cone displacement over time, or cone velocity. This is true if the cone reaches that velocity in a short period of time (high acceleration), or if it reaches that velocity in a long period of time (low acceleration). Therefore the SPL is not directly dependent the cones acceleration.

Re: Re: Re: Re: SPL function of speed or acceleration

roddyama said:

roddyama said:

A speaker cone is driven by a triangle wave signal and the cone follows the signal perfectly. The question isn't about the mechanics of the speaker but what is the parameter responsible for SPL. SPL is proportional to the peak velocity of the cone.

Certianly I understand it has to be accelerated to this velocity. I was trying to show that SPL is independant of acceleration. If you wish, you can reduce the acceleration in my scenerio above until you reach an acceptable level of acceleration. It will not matter how you change the acceleration as long as the cone reaches the same peak velocity, the SPL will be the same.

OK, reading your first post a second time I realise I missundestood what you meant. You start saying that the "A speaker cone is driven by a triangle wave signal and the cone follows the signal perfectly." This is not possible. The cone velocity does not follow the driving signal it follows the integral of it. In order to accelerate the cone from +<whatever> to -<whatever> you'd have to apply an impulse of infinite amplitude. I you could, this would induce an infinite impulse in the sound pressure as well.

So I still mean that SP is proportional to acceleration.

And if you think that "It will not matter how you change the acceleration as long as the cone reaches the same peak velocity, the SPL will be the same. " and you don't beleive my statement above, please try any loudspeaker simulation program that can plot cone excursion and compare it to the sound pressure. They will differ by 12 dB/octave, which would indicate a double integration, ie from acceleration via velocity to position.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
SY said:
Rodd, in the regime where the radiator is small wrt to the wavelength, isn't the SPL proportional to the product of velocity and frequency?
The SPL is related to many factors, but it is the cone velocity that directly causes the particle displacement and therefore SPL at a given point.

It is, I guess valid to speak of vibration, or periodic particle displacement since the original question specified a "transducer". WRT this, as the frequency and amplitude of vibration changes, so does the cones acceleration. It could be construed that it is the acceleration, or it magnitude, that is responsible for generating the SPL, but this is not the case. The acceleration and frequency determine the peak cone velocity. Acceleration and frequency can change and not change the SPL, but if the peak cone velocity changes, the SPL will change.

The relative size of the cone WRT the wavelength will affect the SPL, but that is mainly a function of dispersion of the total acoustic power.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.