How would you compare your DIY speakers to commercial speakers? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th May 2004, 03:18 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to AJ Bertelson
Default How would you compare your DIY speakers to commercial speakers?

I mean if you were to go out and purchase a speaker that was comparable to ones that you build what would it be, if there even is one?

For example, What would the Dayton II's or III's be comparable to a commercial speaker?

This is just out of curiosity
Old 25th May 2004, 03:39 AM   #2
BrianGT is offline BrianGT  United States
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to BrianGT
Default Re: How would you compare your DIY speakers to commercial speakers?

Quote:
Originally posted by AJ Bertelson
I mean if you were to go out and purchase a speaker that was comparable to ones that you build what would it be, if there even is one?

For example, What would the Dayton II's or III's be comparable to a commercial speaker?

This is just out of curiosity
Why don't you finish your Proac 2.5 clones and go do some comparisons.

I like my Seas Thor TL speakers more than speakers that I have heard in commercial stores.

--
Brian
Old 25th May 2004, 09:54 AM   #3
Previously: Kuei Yang Wang

Default Re: How would you compare your DIY speakers to commercial speakers?

Konnichiwa,

Quote:
Non of my more recent DIY Speakers have even remote commercial analogs in the conventional sense and for good reasons. Why should implement all the faults common Speaker designers build into their product to eliminate any possibility of "High Fidelity" reproduction?

Sayonara
Old 25th May 2004, 11:24 AM   #4
Jay is offline Jay  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Before building a speaker I always set a standard. The speaker I will be building must be comparable in quality with a commercial speaker of twice the price. In the process, I don't care if I have to waste some money for prototype etc (not even my time value), but in the end, the total material cost should be at least half of the comparable commercial speaker.

With P17WJ and D27TG, I built many speakers as I found on the net or literatur. I compare them in A/B test, and then I built mine using those speakers as benchmark. (Am I a real DIYer? )

The conclusion I got from experience is:

For cheap speaker, it is easy to build a speaker that compare very well with commercial speaker of twice the price. The more the budget, the more difficult it is. And I believe, it takes a real expert or professional to beat a $40000 commercial speaker with $20000 budget (of course you have to compare with the best commercial speaker of that price). At that level anyway, there will be no distinct line between DIY and commercial.

The most expensive speaker I have ever built cost me only around $700. (Material price).
Old 25th May 2004, 11:43 AM   #5
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
How would you compare your DIY speakers to commercial speakers?
Uglier. Much, much uglier.
Old 25th May 2004, 12:05 PM   #6
BrianGT is offline BrianGT  United States
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to BrianGT
Quote:
Originally posted by SY
Uglier. Much, much uglier.
same here for most of my projects. It seems that commercial products don't come in an unfinished mdf finish.

--
Brian
Old 25th May 2004, 12:49 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Brian,

At least yours have the nice and clean rounded over done to all edges. Mine still have the uneven free hand jag saw straight line cut on all edges, but sound good though.

Chris
Old 25th May 2004, 12:50 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to AJ Bertelson
Default Re: Re: How would you compare your DIY speakers to commercial speakers?

Quote:
Originally posted by BrianGT
[B]Why don't you finish your Proac 2.5 clones and go do some comparisons.[B]
Can't at the moment, getting hitched. All monetary funds have been diverted to the wedding account. So now I just get to sand for 6 more months.

So I am trying to find someway to kill the time a bit

Jay pretty much answered my question though
Old 25th May 2004, 01:04 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BrianGT

same here for most of my projects. It seems that commercial products don't come in an unfinished mdf finish.

--
Brian
But that neutral beige color matches any decor!
Old 25th May 2004, 01:19 PM   #10
maxg is offline maxg  Greece
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to maxg
Default When I built mine....

My first day on the forum (and my third post), so by way of introduction...

I originally owned and ran a pair of Klipsch Heresy 2 speakers. I liked what they did (with tube amps driving them) but felt there was something missing in terms of both image size and bass.

With that in mind I set about building my own. I used horn loaded tweeters but went paper for the midrange and polycarb for the woofer (8 inches only).

Kept the bass unit sealed - wanted to retain the speed of the bass that the Heresy had.

Basically the mission was accomplished - although in the end I dont think it worked out that much cheaper.

Click the image to open in full size.

Hopefully there is a picture above this so you can see the work. (hmmm - no you cant - but it makes a link so that is nearly as good). To compare this to a commercial speaker is not really realistic. The drivers come from the 4 corners of the earth - and I spent a small fortune on wood - real wood not MDF or anything - about an inch thick. Frankly I think the wood contributes as much to the overall sound as anything - but working with it is a chore.

I should probably also point out that the speakers are actually really 3 separate boxes sharing common exterior walls - I think that makes a big difference to the sound too.

Hide this!Advertise here!