Anyone use Maxxbass ???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has anyone seen any DIY applications using Maxxbass?

Here's a quote from a company using it. "MaxxBass is a psycho-acoustic bass extension technology that uses psycho-acoustics to extended the bass frequency response. This is superior to existing bass gain or bass boost technologies that use equalization and compression to simply play the music louder at the lower end of the frequency range by sacrificing audio signal quality. MaxxBass uses advanced DSP harmonics to give the user the perceived bass range of 1.5 octaves below the physical speaker capabilities without degrading the audio signal quality."

I've heard of military applications where 2 sources of a higher frequency combine at an intersecting point to form an ultra low destructive frequency. I think this must be based on similar principle(s).

Does anyone have any info or feedback?

Hi,

I don't know the specifics about that particular technology, but I've come across a similar technology a few years back. The Bass Enhancer made by Meier Audio is supposed to make you hear tones that are normally inaudible simply by playing with the harmonics.

Meier Audio

This might provide a little enlightenment as to what they are doing in the "MaxxBass" thingy.

Hope this helps!
Sébastien

Konnichiwa,

johninCR said:
Has anyone seen any DIY applications using Maxxbass?

Not that I am familiar with. However, SE Amp's with small and low inductance output transformer and "URPS/ELF type Subwoofers behave in ways hat are analog to MaXXbass (I checked the MaXX patent).

johninCR said:
Does anyone have any info or feedback?

Well, I use the MaXXbass plugin from Waves in my Mixmeister DJ Software to get subjectively low reaching LF from small speakers for Party DJ-ing. It also works with my small multimedia PC speakers at work and home....

It works well enough, but does not really replace a large woofer. If space is at a premium or you want to avoid annoying the neigbours with very high SPL at very low frequencies it is an alternative. It is also what helps certain Subwoofers and Amplifier/Speaker combinations to play subjectively much lower than should be possible, based on classic analysis of the speaker design..

Sayonara

Re: Re: Anyone use Maxxbass ???

Kuei Yang Wang said:
Konnichiwa,

It works well enough, but does not really replace a large woofer.

I understand that it won't give the physical impact that real bass gives, but I was thinking that it would be good for full range single drivers or smaller baffles for dipoles.

Does it change the sound of the other frequencies and does the extra perceived bass sound natural ?

Re: Re: Re: Anyone use Maxxbass ???

Konnichiwa,

johninCR said:
I understand that it won't give the physical impact that real bass gives, but I was thinking that it would be good for full range single drivers or smaller baffles for dipoles.

Yes, this is exactly where I use it.

johninCR said:
Does it change the sound of the other frequencies and does the extra perceived bass sound natural ?

Well, most of the music that get's played via MaXXBass is not what You'd call "natural" and no, I would NEVER put this into the "big rig". The Computer Software Plugin is essentially transparent and when set correctly works transparently and gives a sound that is subjectively "Big Speaker" but with less physical impact.

I cannot comment on hardware solutions, I suspect that they would audibly effect all frequencies.

Sayonara

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.