B'horn Super Tweet?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Regardless of how they spec out, I have to say that I have never found the 103's wanting for decent high end.

The idea, of course, is to create bass with the enclosure. While they do sound a tad peaky in the mids, running a notch filter of .82mH(low DCR)/10ohm/4.7uF knocks that out pretty well.

If you think in relative terms, the filter has the net effect of lifting both the bass and the highs.

Dave (planet) has listened to the 103's, too. I would be curious as to his opinion of the highs.

GnD

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
GrahamnDodder said:
Dave (planet) has listened to the 103's, too. I would be curious as to his opinion of the highs.

Well i've heard the RS40-1197 version of the FE103 & the FE103A (35-40 year old alnico ancestor of the current FE103) and the FE108sigma. The 1197 definitly needs help above about 10k. Without phase plugs the FE103A sometimes does, sometimes doesn't depending on source. With phase plugs, an ST would be Xoed at 15-20k. I'd like to here the 108 with phase plugs... they go up but the PP helps dispersion.

I've found that you can get away with quite a modest tweeter. There are some vintage alnico Foster horns that work well, an Isophon 2" cone, even the little 2" thimble tweeters (especially with phase plug) -- in the last case a decent cap is going to be more expensive than the tweeters.

And new -- this little horn (on the order of $10), worked well -- it sat on top of Chris' B'Horns until he got the phase plugs. (there is a thread herein about aluminum miniRSs that has a reference to a current supplier of similar)

dave

Attachments

• mg-horn.jpg
    mg-horn.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 152
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.