woofer construction question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
New to the forum - and this is my first post.

I'm in the middle of a speaker project and am using a Dayton Audio 6.5" woofer (P.E. #295-305 - I haven't figured out how to include an image in my post, so you'll have to look on the P.E. site...)

Anyway, my question concerns that piece of material that is, apparently, glued to the front of the speaker's perimeter. It appears to be plastic, but I'm not sure.

What is its purpose?

And doesn't it interfere with the proper seating of a screw or bolt head when attaching the speaker to the baffle? It seems that if I used a normal panhead bolt/screw the head wouldn't have sufficient shoulder area and would be pulled down to the metal... And if the head of the bolt/screw is supposed to rest on the metal, then why isn't the hole in the plastic (if that's what it is) larger to accomodate the head?

Sorry for such a basic (i.e. boring) question, but I'm 'baffled'...

Thanks.

- s.west

Nostalgia? :xeye:

AFAIK, this is leftover from the old days when drivers were mounted to the rear of the baffle. I'm not aware of anyone that does that now but manufacturers still make it that way. It's not plastic but typically layers of paper that serve as a gasket. Theoretically the sharp edge could cause some diffraction but you'll have more concerns about the rest of your design before you ever get to the point of worrying about that. For now, it's better to have it there than not, IMHO. The most common mounting method is to use screws with t-nuts and a sealant such as rope caulk on the rear of the frame to form an air tight seal around the driver.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.