avoiding the l-pad

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i'd like to avoid using an l-pad but would like to tone down the highs my lpg 26t tweeter are producing.

its working in cahoots with an eton 5-880 midrange but its severely outshining it.

the eton is rated at 87dB while the lpg is 90dB. both 8ohm units.

i've been told using a 4 ohm resistor in series with the lpg may help my cause but i'll need to re-calculate the cap i have limiting anything below 2k reaching the tweeter. i believe its an 11mF cap.

what resistor do you think i'll need to tame this tweeter and what new capacitor value should keep it x'ed over at ~2K?

If you change the cap because you add a series resistor, you can calculate the value (based on increased tweeter impedance), but believe me, it will be the same as designing a new crossover.

The parallel resistor as suggested by Andy will bring back the original impedance.

Hi Andy, can you recommend 2 or 3 brands of resistor for use with crossovers? What do you think of that gold metal shielded vishay commonly used in tube applications?

If Andy thinks that L-PAD has no problem, I guess it is because he never has an inferior amplifiers. IMHO, most problem with speaker is because the amplifier is not up to the task. The L-PAD resistor (or any kind of compensation components) will take away the power (current) out of the drivers, leaving the speaker with inferior sonic quality. But if you cannot avoid the L-pad, what else can you do.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.