2.5-way or 2-way w/sub? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th May 2004, 01:30 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 2.5-way or 2-way w/sub?

I have a pair of Peerless 6.5" CSX (850122) woofers, and I was wondering if it is better to buy another pair (and have a pair of drivers per speaker in a 2.5way arrangement) or stick to a 2-way with a sub (10"CSX maybe). In both cases, I would use sealed boxes for both the mains and the sub because I like the tighter bass and I can never get the port tuning right. So what would be better for bass extension?
Old 15th May 2004, 01:56 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

How about 2.5 way AND 2 12" subs?
Old 15th May 2004, 02:53 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Fitzpatrick
How about 2.5 way AND 2 12" subs?

That might be an idea (if I had the money for this kind of setup). But the 6.5" Peerless woofers have some fairly clean bass on their own, but they drop rapidly below 45Hz in my (2-way ported) setup. My goal is to extend the lows of the system down to about 35Hz with the 2.5way or 25 Hz with the sub (or subs). I think 2 12" subs would be a bit too much for my room, and they would take up a heck of a lot of space (like 130L or so) if they were to go to 25Hz in a closed box. Again, I don't have THAT much money to spend; I can always add a second (same) sub later.
Old 15th May 2004, 04:19 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

You could get the second pair of 6.5s and mount the second pair in the back in a push-push bipole setup, to take care of baffle step and extend the bass. If it were me I'd tend to go this way also because it's a modular, extensible setup; you can always add a sub later for the bottom octave if you find you want it.

I understand this method is favored by Planet10, there's some info on his web site here.
Old 15th May 2004, 05:43 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

dmitriy167:

How are you going to handle the amplification and crossovers?
Old 15th May 2004, 06:16 AM   #6
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by HeatMiser
You could get the second pair of 6.5s and mount the second pair in the back in a push-push bipole setup, to take care of baffle step and extend the bass.
Who woulda guessed this would be the way i'd go

Keep in mind that a 2nd driver the same won't take you any lower, just give you more.... which with a 6.5 & 45 Hz is almost required.

dave
Old 15th May 2004, 10:20 AM   #7
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

A small sealed box with an added subwoofer is your best bet.

A 2.5 way will give more volume and efficiency but not more bass,
not unless you build a 50 litre reflex tuned to around 36Hz.

http://www.speakerbuilder.net/web_fi...k/pcrkmain.htm

A sealed version with 0.5cuft / 14L stuffed will be fine, Q ~ 0.7.

For your subwoofer, unless the driver is specifically designed
for sealed boxed loading an overdamped reflex is better.

sreten.
Old 15th May 2004, 02:50 PM   #8
rabbitz is offline rabbitz  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HeatMiser
You could get the second pair of 6.5s and mount the second pair in the back in a push-push bipole setup, to take care of baffle step and extend the bass. If it were me I'd tend to go this way also because it's a modular, extensible setup; you can always add a sub later for the bottom octave if you find you want it.
This is what I did with mine using the 850122's. Very effective, and mainly used it for BSC. More bottom end now but does not go any lower. Has a perception of going lower but I think it's only the increase in SPL due to BSC.
Old 15th May 2004, 05:16 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sreten
A small sealed box with an added subwoofer is your best bet.

A 2.5 way will give more volume and efficiency but not more bass,
not unless you build a 50 litre reflex tuned to around 36Hz.

sreten.
I am building a pair of ~50L boxes now, and this is an option. But I don't like the idea of a port too much. I like my bass tight.

Quote:
Originally posted by rabbitz

This is what I did with mine using the 850122's. Very effective, and mainly used it for BSC. More bottom end now but does not go any lower. Has a perception of going lower but I think it's only the increase in SPL due to BSC.
I should have thought of this from the start. I might be able to mount the drivers in a bipole config in the 50L sealed boxes. The question then is if I should make the back drivers take care of the bass only, or if they could run into the midrange like the front drivers.
Old 15th May 2004, 05:47 PM   #10
rabbitz is offline rabbitz  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dmitriy167
The question then is if I should make the back drivers take care of the bass only, or if they could run into the midrange like the front drivers.
I use mine only for BSC and roll off from 575Hz using a 1st order crossover. BTW, mine are used in a vented box. If you are building a 50 litre box you could always try sreten's suggestion of trying a vented box tuned to 36Hz. If you don't like it you can then go sealed....... or build 1 of each and compare. Just a thought.

Cheers

Hide this!Advertise here!